A bipartisan, GOP-led voting machine security bill that would actually fix vulnerabilities in US elections

Depends if the voter understood the rules.

/me slowly backs away…

How is a fancy digital interface going to help the situation when a voter is too incompetent to figure out how to draw a short line with a felt-tipped pen? They’d probably just fuck up the machine by circling the name on the touchscreen with a sharpie marker.

4 Likes

When you put the ballot through the scanner, if the ballot has illegibilities the scanner flags and rejects it without issuing the voter a receipt, making him do it over. (We use these ballots, and while I miss the old lever-pull mechanical voting machines I do think these work very well.)

I miss California’s wonderfully full voters’ guides. It was a shock to move to a state where some of that information is much harder to find.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I think it’s a good thing. There was a time (which ended in the middle of Giuliani’s first term as NYC mayor, right about when Bratton was featured on a magazine cover) when I could vote for a better Republican candidate. Now, I can’t, and it’s too bad. First, they’re not running any better candidates. Second, the party is utterly owned (instead of only partially owned) by oligarchs.

How does a blind person mark their vote? Or some one with a physical disability that makes it hard to hold a pen?

can it be beaten by a ceramic bowl ?

Details here:

Assistance for Voters with Disabilities

(Relevant excerpts)

State and federal laws require that all voters be able to cast their ballots privately and independently. Each polling place must have at least one voting machine that allows all voters, including those who are blind or visually impaired, to cast a ballot without assistance. The voting machine permits voters to verify their vote choices and, if there is an error, allows voters to correct those choices before submitting their ballot.

[…]

If you need help marking your ballot, you may choose up to two people to help you. This person cannot be:

• Your employer or anyone who works for your employer
  • Your labor union leader or anyone who works for your labor union

Curbside voting allows you to park as close as possible to the voting area. Elections officials will bring you a roster to sign, a ballot, and any other voting materials you may need, whether you are actually at a curb or in a car.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.