A brief history of the war on Christmas

" Jesus A 23.5 degree tilt is the reason for the season."

14 Likes
18 Likes

that sounds like an easter sweater

14 Likes

This raises all sorts of theological questions:

Do Snowmen go to heaven?
Do bad snowmen go to hell? (and if so, how do you keep them there given that they’re made of, you know, snow)
Snowman souls?

Man, now I’m really sorry to the snowman I made on a winter trip with highschool friends where I removed the carrot that had been placed um… lower than where the nose should go. I didn’t realize it was an important bit of anatomy rather than just being a crude joke that kind of ruined the general holiday decor wonder permeating the area.

2 Likes

Frosty The Snowman Christmas Movies GIF by GIF Greeting Cards

5 Likes

See! look at that left hand. He really could have used that carrot. Now I feel really bad.

(my apologies to the board for going there)

5 Likes

Mine will continue until marketers cease promoting early termination of festivities at the end of December. It’s fun getting folks who insist that Christmas is on December 25 to count to twelve, and teach them about the Epiphany after they ask me why my decorations are still up on January 2nd. :roll_eyes: When they argue that The 12 Days of Christmas are the shopping days before the 25th, the discussion turns to Twelfth Night and what the “eve” of a holiday means.

Yup, I blame companies who want people to move on because their fiscal year is over, the marketers for New Year’s Day or January “white sales,” and waste management wood chipper operations trying to take my tree before I’m finished with it. :christmas_tree:

youtube no GIF by Hyper RPG

10 Likes

Jan6

It’s funny how conservatives throw around the word “Taliban” for everyone but themselves, when in the US there is really only one religion constantly being codified into government and made mandatory in culture. It certainly isn’t Islam. If it quacks like a duck…

5 Likes

Christmas ends on the 6th of January, Nollaig na mBan, and the decorations must be taken down by then. As an aside the men in the house are meant to do this, and the cooking. To be honest he does here anyway so it doesn’t really work for me.

Another hill I don’t want to die on but I’m prepared to hold as long as I’m able.

2 Likes

Well, that escalated quickly.

4 Likes

christmas vacation GIF

2 Likes

Dia de Reis. I think it’s a universal tradition to take out Christmas decorations on Epiphany day, that until 1967 it was a national holiday in Brazil…

There is also a tradition, inherited from Portugal, of eating “Bolo de Reis”, a cake in the shape of a crown with fruit and sugar on top. I think these traditions have lost strength in big cities and survive in the countryside like the “Folias de Reis”, a folk catholic celebration, usually held by rural workers from Christmas Eve till the Epiphany day.

I had the opportunity to follow one of these processions, which honors the Three Wise Men and imitates their visit to Baby Jesus. The festive group, accompanied by musicians, travel the country roads, from farm to farm, visiting the homes of the faithful, who in gratitude, offer a snack and some money to the revelers as they sing and praise the birth of the Messiah.

6 Likes

Is that a New Zeeland tradition?

no idea. Its just the person I replied to said something about a Sweater that said “Jesus Christ didn’t die for you to be an asshole". I’m no expert, but generally Xmas is about Jesus being born. Easter is about what happens after Jesus is dead, so to me, sounds like an Easter sweater not a Xmas sweater.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.