A brilliant, simple exercise to teach privacy fundamentals

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/06/practical-de-anonymization.html

1 Like

Who needs the Spanish Inquisition (not that it was expected) when we open our lives to the World on social media.

2 Likes

You only have to sit upstairs on a bus (in the UK - double-decker buses) to hear people announce ridiculously private information in a loud voice.

great way to gather full credit card numbers and compromat from random strangers under the cover of a neat school project! Assistant professor my ass, oh, don’t want to give me tenure, HA! well see whose laughing now!

4 Likes

When someone tells me that he doesn’t care about privacy, I demand his credit card number, expiration date, and the associated security code. So far I haven’t had any takers.

2 Likes

Oh dear, I am rather an oversharer, hate to think of what could be collected just by following me.

How lawyerly to teach about wrong and right by having them do wrong to unsuspecting marks.

1 Like

I thought the test would be to ask if they would agree to be tracked to access a website… :neutral_face:

But the de-anonymization from public data is a good exercise, too. And in the next class the law students can debate whether what they did was ethical regardless of whether it was legal.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.