Data Defenders, a media literacy game about data collection and targeting for kids in grades 4-6

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/28/timely-ludens.html

4 Likes

Cute.  

I know this to be an unpopular opinion: I don’t think data privacy is real and I don’t think it ever existed. I think concepts of ownership and individuality are relatively new concepts that haven’t been fully fleshed out and will likely disappear over the next century or so.

Full disclosure: this is not me saying “if you have nothing to hide, etc.etc.” I have plenty to hide, I just don’t believe I have any right to do so.

We exist and thrive only in the presence and context of others.

Nope. Not a popular opinion around here. :slight_smile: Just because these are new concepts doesn’t make them invalid. It means that we, as a society, don’t fully understand them or know how much to value them. We are still learning. And I think this game is a great step in that direction.

I just showed the game to my 10 y.o. son and I think he got a lot out of it. This game does a good job of hiding these complex concepts behind a (dumb) game. So, it’s very well done.

2 Likes

Data privacy isn’t about ownership or individuality, it’s about protection from bad actors. If indeed these concepts become invalid in the future:
A) That does not mean they are not valid and useful today.
B) What do we do in the meantime?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.