A chapel in the swamp accessible only by boat

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/31/a-chapel-in-the-swamp-accessible-only-by-boat.html

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve driven a half mile from it on I10 hundreds of times and this is the first time I’ve ever heard of it.
Neat

4 Likes

running-icy1-ezgif.com-optimize

5 Likes

Poking around that area, I want to know what happened to the swamp near this dropped pin. Zoom in, and there are scores of radiating creek paths from various points; freaky…

2 Likes

Yeah that looks crazy, but there isn’t anything much going on around there. I clicked the link and it’s outside Manchac between Lakes Maurepas and Ponchartrain. It’s a dredged canal, so my guess is the radiations are some artifact of making the canal. :person_shrugging:

As an aside, if you ever go to that spot to see, Middendorf’s is only a few minutes away and has some of the best fried catfish anywhere

3 Likes

Martha Deroch had a vision of Jesus kneeling by a rock along a bend of the Blind River. Under this direction from God, Martha Deroch had her husband help build her a chapel at the site of her vision in the swamp.

Didn’t Martha have an earlier vision, one involving a tax consultant and discussions re church tax exemptions?

Best fried catfish? Along with the amazing crawfish and tiger shrimp I’m already craving? :interest intensifies:

I figured those radiating creek shapes were probably human-influenced; maybe blast patterns.

1 Like

Remote swamp chapel sounds very much like a setting/plot point in a RPG. There, you can get cures, bait, information about particular alligators and sanctuary from vampires.

2 Likes

Cypress logging ditches, apparently.

2 Likes

Just such a chapel exists as one of the levels in the crically acclaimed Metro: Exodus game.

1 Like

Wow! And thank you for finding that!

2 Likes

Was it the fourth chapel?

3 Likes

… maybe @FloridaManJefe knows more about this

1 Like

no, man. i stay out of the swamp! shit’s scary in there! i need the open water.
AFIK, zombies can’t swim.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.