A cheap, simple fix for an achy throttle hand

The throttle palm rest lever is a very old touring motorcyclist’s trick.

There’s no need to waste money on this rubbish, though; you can achieve the same function with a hose clamp on the throttle grip, with the tail of the clamp serving as the lever.

Not recommended for use in traffic, for obvious reasons. And increasingly obsolete; cruise control is fairly standard on touring bikes these days…

Very nice bike!

10 bucks seems like a lot for a hunk of plastic.
eBay has them for $4 free shipping (US Sellers.):
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=15&LH_BIN=1&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Throttle%20Assist%20Wrist%20Rest&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Tho, if you want one for a buck, just search on ebay for "Throttle Assist Wrist Rest: and you’ll find plenty of sellers from china.

You might want to at least mount it on the inside of the grip, so that when cruising you can lightly hold the throttle on the inside and in quick maneuvering situations you can shift your hand to the outside of the grip and be safe against accidental acceleration.

After ruining my last motorcycle vacation, friends recommended the $10 Cramp Buster. . .

It really isn’t fair to blame your friends for your ruined vacation. The problem is with your equipment.

Edit: I see now that Hanglyman has already covered this, so we have two posts doing the job of zero.

Yeah, this is my hangup–mechanically activated “cruise control” solutions never seem to work for me, as I have to constantly adjust the throttle to maintain the same speed due to curves in the road, hills, dips, etc. An electronic throttle control would be acceptable as it can maintain a set speed, as opposed to mechanically maintaining the throttle position/fuel flow.

If I’m riding long distance on the bike, I always keep a supply of anti-inflammatory drugs to combat aches and pains like this. And any time I can do so without causing problems, I’ll flex my wrist and fingers repeatedly to stretch them out a touch before grabbing the throttle again.

Which reminds me, I’ve got to fix the broken choke lever on the KLR…

OK, don’t do this. It’s not safe. If you wrap a rubber band around the throttle and the brake (but not the brake lever) you get style 60’s cruise control. The band allows you to still throttle up and down when needed but returns the throttle to your cruise position when left alone. Again, don’t do this. It’s dangerous.

An even simpler fix. Don’t ride a motorcycle.

2 Likes

Well, my spouse thinks this is how the use of “the #” was adopted in Southern California. The freeways used to be referred to as the whatever name freeway, only to be shortened to the # for both clarity and quick reporting on freeway conditions.

I’ve had a couple cars that I could cross the country in and never have a sore back. And I’ve had a couple that I could be in agony in after 15 minutes. Seat design is a big deal.

But I drove a friend’s car across Canada once - a luxury Japanese car - I forget the brand; I may be mentally blocking it for my own good - that was like a torture chamber.

If I moved the seat far enough back to give me any leg room, the steering wheel was far enough away that my arms had to be extended straight out. And they’d quickly get sore. The car was not designed for anyone of any height with human proportions.

But the kicker was the steering wheel itself. If you look at the cross-section of the part of the wheel that you wrap your hands around, they managed to find the perfect shape to give you very sore hands in a short time.

2 Likes

what? this does not compute at all. this is never an option. (well it is some mornings like today cause I kept waking up every hour last night and I am gonna be too beat by quitting time to ride home effectively)

Not helpful, informative, or amusing.

3 Likes

I don’t ride motorcycles, so I can’t call it, but I was thinking this seemed like the way to go when I was studying the picture. seems much more out-of-the-way, less likely to get accidentally tapped in an “oh shit” situation when you want to grab the bar at the extreme end – furthest from the pivot at the stem – for more stable leverage.

Is this at least more amusing :wink:

Joel Johnson and I tried something like that once.

And in Chicago, you don’t use the numbers. It’s: The Dan Ryan, The Ike (or The Eisenhower), The Kennedy, and The Edens.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.