A comic book history of the Pinkerton Agency

Originally published at: A comic book history of the Pinkerton Agency | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I remember working with SEIU organizing private security companies in downtown LA and having a couple of buildings with Pinkertons. It is so strange being a union organizer going into a building and ASKING for the Pinkerton agent.

10 Likes

You’ll be happy to know that Securitas AB the mega-corp that bought Pinkerton does allow unions for their security officers depending on the whims of the client. Other than that the Pinkerton tradition continues.

I used to work for a spin-off of Pinkerton called Metropolitan International Security Service and yes strike busting was definitely a thing. Full riot gear, shields and all.

2 Likes

The weird part is that Allan Pinkerton was a Chartist (sort of a proto-trade-union movement), and fled Scotland to avoid arrest for his involvement in the movement. His dad was a cop though, which might explain his later career.

(I have a theory, based on no facts whatsoever, that he might have been an informer on the Chartists, and actually fled because someone realised who’d betrayed them)

5 Likes

Love Sam’s work, really love it. His Our Members be Unlimited book is fantastic. Plenty of downloadable art on his site, too, if that is your thing.

1 Like

I sold a handmade greenhouse to a Pinkerton heir. He paid cash. I did not notice blood on the paper money, but I was not looking for any.

2 Likes

Always weird to get a reminder that the Pinkertons are still a thing. Almost like finding out the East India Company was still imposing brutal colonial rule across various parts of Asia.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.