The Pinkertons' plan for climate change: a mercenary army that guards one-percenters as the seas rise

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/12/guillotine-prevention-squad.html

7 Likes

Well good to know the Pinkertons haven’t changed all that much from their days of strikebreaking by shooting the strikers.

33 Likes

The good news is that it won’t work because we will all likely die together.

20 Likes

Security is a growth industry. Has been since 9/11.

19 Likes

I feel like the Pinkertons’ rise to notoriety actually began with their midnight dynamite attack on Jesse James’ mother.

4 Likes

Was it really only a few months ago when the Pinkertons were complaining about being seen as the bad guys?

In a statement responding to the lawsuit, Pinkerton president Jack Zahran claimed Take-Two’s villainous agents were a “baseless” and “inaccurate” portrayal of Pinkertons. “Pinkertons are seen shooting horses, shooting guns and firebombs into buildings where women and children are present, and as violent villains in the community. History tells a different story,” he said. He also argued that Pinkerton employees now “have to explain to their young game players why Red Dead Redemption 2 encourages people to murder Pinkertons.”

35 Likes

Insecurity industry. The security industry protects people and property. These assholes drum up fear and anxiety in order to profit from it. The threat from climate change is real. The Pinkerton’s can’t do anything to alleviate that threat.

26 Likes

Just after 9/11 I had been involved in buying metal detectors for a commercial application… the company making the particular item I was interested in halted production to ramp up for the boom they correctly foresaw. Why 500$ when it could be 5000$ .

11 Likes

time to reread Snow Crash …

13 Likes

I’m all in favor of drumming up fear and anxiety. If more people read about how companies are expecting to profit from a world destabilized by climate change they may decide that maybe the problem is real.

20 Likes

but but but…jobs! we must protect the jobs! /s

1 Like

It’s interesting that they seem to think that money and weapons will somehow insulate them or their employers from widespread disease and starvation due to the lack of food production.

28 Likes

Interesting, or just expected from past behavior of rich right-wing assholes?

11 Likes

Can you hire Blackwater to disrupt the Pinkertons actions against you?

29 Likes

‘Cute’ or “precious” were actually the first adjectives that came to mind; the obtuse naivete that comes from a lifetime of excess privilege is staggering.

17 Likes

I don’t feel so bad about goofing off on world-building for my near-future dystopia now that I know that the real world is busy writing my backstory for me.

My big goal now is to try to finish my novel while it’s still fiction.

19 Likes

i can imagine the cognitive dissonance that came about with the impulse to apply those words to people this repugnant.

better not wait for NaNoWriMo

2 Likes

There’s a reason they were the bad guys in the media franchise with the biggest opening weekend of any piece of entertainment in history.

8 Likes

My sense of humor is darkly sarcastic; more so now, than ever.

10 Likes