A comparison of how rich people and very rich people order food at a restaurant

Dining out with my parents: A master class on what not to do. Every. Fucking. Time.

20 Likes

Then…

13 Likes

I don’t know. I’m nowhere near “rich”, but I do prefer to be left alone while eating, and I know the server is usually glad not to have to cater to insane needs. Here’s what I want, no more, and you can relax and leave me alone until I signal for the check.

18 Likes

I agree 100 percent, the contrived fawning and checking in are not making me part with more cash at the tip jar.

16 Likes

Noblesse oblige

It’s not a lesson the new money learned. And I consider everyone who got their money after about the Napoleonic wars as new money in this case (or every case, really).

10 Likes

That’s just my everyday existence, and I’m far from super rich :frowning:

5 Likes

Arriviste.

1 Like

When they do, they patronise places where they pay a major premium. The difference between them and the nouveau riche is that they trust the staff to serve them without their indulging in all the performative drama and posturing. They make their request in a simple and down-to-earth way knowing that, at these ultra-premium prices, they’ll either get what they expect or won’t (a place that doesn’t deliver on expectations will eventually fail or start catering to a less rarified clientele without their saying a word to the staff – word gets around).

The sense of entitlement is still there, it’s just muted by the confidence and DGAF attitude that comes with not having to worry about money in any way when it’s being spent on personal stuff (and being used to it).

13 Likes

Well the hook is it was Bud Light.

5 Likes

Apparently not all billionaires (or alleged billionaires).

on Trump Force One there were four major food groups: McDonald’s, Kentucky Fried Chicken, pizza, and Diet Coke. Mr Trump’s favourite food is steak with ketchup, cooked so well done that according to his former butler “it would rock on the plate”.

9 Likes

Trump is sort of the poster child for the type of not as rich as he wants you to think he is, “hey everyone look I spent ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS”, douche bag in question.

Straight down to the petty power games over diet coke and the existing entirely on debt.

12 Likes

Which most people are framing as needing to prove something.
A different take: You don’t get rich unless you are an asshole. (#notallrichpeople)

But if you are born rich, especially a few generations from the assholes who made the money, you aren’t any more likely to be a jerk than anyone else. And most people are nice to you most of the time, which makes it very easy to be a basically nice person.

8 Likes

thisi is pretty much the perfect meal. :slight_smile:

Biff is both insecure in his wealth and never really matured beyond age 11 or 12. He learned all the wrong lessons from his awful parents, which only made his own awful personality worse

6 Likes

Beer and a bottle. And a peaceful hour to drink it in.

9 Likes

Maybe. But you still have never been held accountable for anything you’re entire life, have been suffused with the idea that you are entitled to be where you are. Whether because you are inherently better, or because of some meritocratic fig leaf.

Which is not exactly gonna prevent you from being a dick.

In my experience it’s more that it (and you) simply don’t matter to them. Not enough to try to impress you, certainly not enough to bother being rude.

The legitimately ultra rich are a pretty cloistered group of people. And you aren’t a part of it. They don’t have to worry about you having any real impact on their lives, or even regular non-service industry contact with you.

Certainly still concerned with appearances. Who’s marrying who, who was seen where. Where everyone is summering this year.

Less about making sure that everyone knows they’re wearing a five thousand dollar suit, than having the right five thousand dollar suit. So those who recognize which five thousand dollar suit it is, know they have the right one.

We can take the video’s mention of the Suburban needing ducktape.

This a curious obsession with the money set here. The summer car. A separate vehicle that you (gasp) drive yourself, to get around town. It lives at your beach house. And you drive it like 4 times a year.

Core impressive options are usually vintage SUVs. Land Rovers, Land Cruisers, Wagoneers, Suburbans, Broncos etc. Sometimes an old Volvo. Though a vintage resort car like a Mini Moke or a Jeepster will do you.

Buying a McLaren, just means you can buy a McLaren. But having one of these standard summer cars means you have the proper outlook of country house and beach resort.

Keeping the summer time car for a long time is the thing. So a vintage model is better.

It indicates how long you’ve been coming here. And that is the important thing. Not how big your house is. How many decades your family has had it.

So buying an immaculately restored J series Toyota Land Cruiser is far less impressive than having a worn 90’s Land Rover Discovery. Since the Disco is a clear sign you’ve been coming out for 30 years. And a Jeep Wagoneer from the 60’s with a rusty bumper and vintage beach parking passes in the window is the king shit of Hamptons money.

Those beach stickers actually have a healthy secondary market. My grandfather is a mechanic and used to make a decent clip carefully peeling them off older cars to resell. Think the town still prints more than they need and sells un stuck expired stickers at a premium.

9 Likes

While bartending in Arizona (home to the $30k a year Millionaire). I made it my passion to ignore this twits, cost me a job, but saved my sanity in the long run.

10 Likes

How is he getting his food if he is telling the waiter not to come back?

1 Like

Oh yes you are. The “assholes who made the money” at least know what it is like not to have money. The assholes who inherit money are just entitled wastes of space. You can see this amplified through the various generations of the Trump family

2 Likes

That sounds like an airport lounge.

3 Likes