A darn good 25-cent mechanical pencil

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/22/a-darn-good-25-cent-mechanical.html

Because you don’t support a business model that comes up with a “disposable” pencil like that?

3 Likes

Because a proper #2 pencil works just as well and is less finicky than a mechanical one.

2 Likes

Is it a Bic? Yep, it’s a Bic. They make three of the greatest commercial products of all time; this pencil, the Bic Stic pen and, the undisputed, on its own playing field, not even ruined by the Beavis & Butthead childproofing panic, Bic lighter. GOAT.

Of course, the Dixon Ticonderoga is still the greatest pencil ever made. Fight me!

3 Likes

3 Likes

No fight here. I’ve become slightly fetishistic about the Ticonderoga Black, myself. I was recently gifted a Polomino Blackwing Pearl, very much favored here in these parts, and while it’s a VeryNice™ pencil, it’s just slightly too soft for my EDC writing implement.

1 Like

OK, I’ll fight you:

Dixon Ticonderoga is no longer made in the USA.

However a quick Google search reveals that General Pencil Co. is made in the USA (since 1889).

1 Like

Agreed. They’re what I buy my kids every year for school so they can tell them apart from everyone else’s. I have a fresh box of them in my cabinet right now.

I had a couple of bouts with the Palomino after recommendations here. I was not super impressed. Too soft, which also means super messy for daily use. And that eraser? Ugh. No thanks.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.