Sponsor Shout-Out: Pencils.com and the Blackwing 602 Legacy Edition

[Permalink]

This pencil fetish, I donā€™t get it ā€¦ is this some designer/artist thing or are those pencils somehow so special that a normal dude writing a shopping list or doodling while on the phone profits from them?

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure itā€™s a very nice pencil that I would happily snag if someone let me borrow it. Then Iā€™d realize they cost almost two bucks a pop and Iā€™d feel a little guilty.

1 Like

Really? Pencils? Get on your penny-farthing and get out of here.

Consider how the thickness of the lettering changes abruptly in the middle of the word ā€œSuppliesā€. Now, if youā€™d used the magnificent mechanical Kuru Toga with built-in clutch mechanism, uniformity would be easy to maintainā€¦

5 Likes

Iā€™m with FFabian: whatā€™s the big deal? What makes these pencils worth almost two-dollars a piece? What makes them better than your classic Ticonderoga or even a Faber-Castel? Just the fancy ferule and eraser shape?

If I spent $23 on a box of pencils, I would have to EAT it.

But I do get it. They look pretty rad.

Markā€™s an artist. Itā€™s different for artists. The right pencil can make a HELL of a lot of difference.

2 Likes

I heard the Haunted Mansion is totally made out of these.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a far more useful ā€œshout-outā€. Never heard of it before. Will buy.

Itā€™s the ā€œI began writing to far down on the pageā€-look that notes everywhere used to sport.

Iā€™m not a student of Freud, but Iā€™m almost certain he investigated the relationship between innate masculinity and the perceived rigidity of pencils. Personally, I get really hot and bothered when I see someone run their fingers up and down a firm pencil. Itā€™s a turn on.

Give me a cheapo Number 2 Yellow and Iā€™m a drawing demon. After all, itā€™s not the pencil that makeths the artist, itā€™s the artist that makeths the artistā€¦right? The tool doesnā€™t ultimately matter, unless thereā€™s some sort of fetish (Freudian perhaps?) involved.

In art school one hears endlessly about line quality. It is what separates a good drawing from a great one. These pencils are like using a Martin guitar. You think you get the same results from a dime store guitar shaped box? No.

It is about the quality of the mixture used to produce the lead. The Blackwing or other better pencils glide across the paper in a way that just feels good and leaves behind a line that has expression just like you intended.

I donā€™t draw much anymore. Loved these things when I did.

3 Likes

It all depends on preference and what you want to do. Iā€™m actually an ink girl. I love my rapid-o-graphs even though I know they may have troublesā€¦ I just love them.

For pencils I tend to use mechanical, the kind with a thick lead you can sharpen yourself and load with different leads for different effects.

Butā€¦ thatā€™s just me. I can see why some one might just like these, the quality of the line, the feel, etc. Iā€™ve never used one before, and like I saidā€¦ I love my ink. But I can totally see why some one would spend more than 20 dollars on pencils they like using.

1 Like

What, you donā€™t want to pay $200 for a single pencil?

Also sharpened after ā€˜SPONSORINGā€™.
d_d

Iā€™m sure using these pencils is also similar to driving a $175,000 Maserati.
But such lofty comparisons fail to address the specific, relatively high-priced nature of this product.

1 Like

Like the Maserati, itā€™s a high-end version of something thatā€™s also available in midrange and low-end versions. The low-end does the job perfectly well but isnā€™t as pleasant. The midrange has a nicer ride and handles better ā€“ not enough better that it makes any practical difference, but enough better that you can notice it if you care about such things. If youā€™re going to push the limits, or if youā€™re exceptionally sensitive, or if you just like the snob appeal, the high end does take it that much further.

Itā€™s worth what itā€™s worth to the people who buy it, by definition. If it isnā€™t worth that much to you, it isnā€™t the one you want to buy. I donā€™t want a Maserati either, certainly not at full price and probably not even if I got it at lower price; what itā€™s designed and tuned for simply isnā€™t what I need.

ā€¦ And realistically, given how long a pencil lasts (especially when you arenā€™t writing with it every school day), a buck or three really ainā€™t that much. Most of us arenā€™t going to use them fast enough for the price difference over a lifetime to actually make any noticeable difference.

Same reason a $100 adoption fee for a pet isnā€™t as meaningful as it may sound ā€“ itā€™s a tiny fraction of what the petā€™s going to cost you over the course of its life. (Many shelters charge an adoption fee simply to hammer home that folks shouldnā€™t adopt unless they are willing to make that long-term commitment.)

Read my second and third paragraph, then.

Van Gogh

Egon Schiele

Nancy Rubins