A deep dive into the German and UK editions of The Beatles Collection BC13

From the Lou Ottens article, but it might be a better fit here.

CD is technically better, a perfectly produced CD will always sound better than a perfectly produced record, but that is also a weakness because CDs can take more punishment in audio production than vinyl can. There are some CDs that are so badly made (designed to sound as loud as possible and have little dynamic range) that if they put that mix on vinyl it would be unplayable, so they make a different mix for vinyl which does sound better as a side effect.

The warmness of vinyl is just distortion and personal taste. I have known people who prefer the sound of multi-generational copies on audio cassette to the original. There is no right or wrong on this part of the argument.

So vinyl is currently better, but it is not an intrinsic feature of vinyl. Copy it to FLAC or another lossless format and it loses a lot of it’s advantages because of portability issues, but if it’s about the tactile experience then vinyl still wins.

TL;DR version:
Just enjoy what you enjoy, and I’ll enjoy what I enjoy. Sometimes a technical advantage doesn’t always work out.

2 Likes