A delightfully bad US Army animation starring a talking floppy disk (1985)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/25/a-delightfully-bad-us-army-ani.html

1 Like

instructions unclear; x-rayed floppy disk

6 Likes

I can readily imagine laboriously copying out hundreds thousands of lines of code from a book for the momentary satisfaction of watching something similar on my own PC.

And of course I expect the army paid an exorbitant fee for these three minutes, one way or another.

3 Likes

The animation itself isn’t the worst thing i’ve seen and considering when this was made i’d say this was an ok effort. Boring but not terrible. The art style is really something though

2 Likes

I remember the term “microcomputers”. I remember thinking: if this thing is micro, then what’s macro? It must be something we haven’t seen yet!

Worse than the animation was the music. Ugh.

Yeah… who thought it was a good idea to put a bowtie right above the Database Management Program’s crotch?

Was it really that important to include it to pull off the gag? I guess if you gotta do it, it’s better than a black tie would have been.

1 Like

Its a bit childish, isn´t it? I mean soldiers of the US Army are all adults.
In contrast, the Bundeswehr in Westgermany did this in one of their training films around the same time:

Also this short clip sums the germany army up perfectly.
6 Likes

Reminds me how one of the most important features British engineers built into their tanks was giving their soldiers access to hot water from inside the tank to make tea. Previously they would get out to put a kettle on a fire and their guys kept getting shot at while outside their tanks.

4 Likes

Presumably… but I know one who acts like a child.

That was cool. Gyro-stabilized turret I assume?

Yeah its a film of the german army about the Gyroscopic stabilizer of the main gun of the Leopard 2 MBT. Its actually a really interesting film:

2 Likes

Heh. After nearly a year of flip-flopping between ‘refusing’ and ‘signing up for two years’ I just took the easy way and became a standard W15 (which worked out to be 12 months, 2 weeks) and ended up in a unit guarding tactical nukes for the US Army for the better part of 1986.
So, best of two worlds, sorta…

Nice mention of the Mindset – an amazingly advanced PC at the time that just never caught on – while its graphics may seem nothing special now, it was very impressive at the time.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.