Space Force uniform designs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/29/space-force-uniform-designs.html

8 Likes

sstwouldyoulike

38 Likes

When you want your uniform to say: “Fascist crossing guard.”

50 Likes

What, no red shirts?

15 Likes

Hrm… well… I don’t hate it. I assume those are dress uniforms. The Marines have the nicest dress uniforms.

It feels very… modern. Which we don’t tend to associate with the military. The Military is steeped in traditions and updates are fairly slow. It really feels like “dress up”, but I guess it may change once it gets more familiar.

4 Likes

35 Likes
10 Likes

It’s literally Star Trek (post-TOS) w/ a sprinkling of Starship Troopers:

Everything about “space force” is a lie and a joke. It’s not an “equal” branch of the military, deserving of separate uniforms, rank structure, and a seat at the Joint Chiefs of Staff. “space force” is 2,500 military (formerly Air Force), which is 0.7% of the current 320,000 Air Force active duty. I feel sorry for anyone who has to wear these clown uniforms and has to respond when called “guardian.” (Just imagine “space force” boot camp: “I will be your Space Drill Instructor. Line up, you Neutrinos!”) Hopefully, Biden will have the SecDef quietly fold “space force” back into the Air Force after a decent interval.

24 Likes

Playing “Dixie” no less. I guess some things will never change, as much as they need to.

4 Likes

The officers who will be required to wear these to congressional hearings will be embarrassed. I honestly feel sorry for anyone who has been shanghaied into the Space Force.

6 Likes

Yeah - I don’t see the similarities :face_with_monocle::

11 Likes

David Frum made an argument in favor of a Space Force recently, I don’t know that I 100% buy it, but it’s food for thought.

At the start of the nuclear era, the U.S. Army, Navy, and Air Force each demanded its own nuclear role. The resulting triplication not only wasted money, but nearly toppled the world into catastrophe.

The Army’s nuclear ambitions saddled the U.S. with thousands of short-range nuclear weapons that invited war planners to imagine a battlefield role for Hiroshima-style warheads. The Air Force sustained its strategic bomber force for decades after it was rendered obsolete by intercontinental missiles.

To satisfy the nuclear ambitions of the three services, the U.S. built too many warheads—risking the health of workers at nuclear facilities and creating a dangerous disposal problem once the Cold War ended.

Frum is an old-school interventionist neoliberal, so always take him with a grain of salt. But he argues that keeping above-atmosphere national security out of the hands of the other branches could limit the kind of rampant self-competitive military toy-making that we saw during the Cold War, and I think that’s worth considering.

14 Likes

With a little Hugo Boss.

19 Likes

And Wehrmacht. Though I guess that’s indirectly in there via Starship Troopers

15 Likes

The extraneous example Frum gives is that, by not having a separate and distinct Nuclear Force, there was waste when Army, Navy, Air Force all jockeyed to have their own nuclear weapons.

Except there never was, and will not be, any jockeying by Army and Navy for “space forces”— Air Force won that battle.

And the rest of that article, God, how can Frum be so dense? Why didn’t he also give Trump credit for all the sunny days of his Administration? Plus, half of Trump’s “accomplishments” are results he actively campaigned against: eg, coal use has declined, not increased, over last 4 years. And Frum acknowledges this! And Frum still gives Trump “credit” for it!

He argues that Trump was so unreliable and chaotic (a feature not a bug!), he contributed to a couple Middle East countries recognizing Israel. Really? You’re going to stand behind that? Well, then he backtracks: “Maybe normalization would have happened even without him—it started before him, after all.”

See, you can watch Frum on MSNBC, chirping the beautiful music of the Never Trumpers and you think he’s learned something, but no…

15 Likes

Where do they pack the tricorder?
And hey, before Paul Verhoeven decided to go for the Hollywood dough and the whole Robo thing, he made some of the most incisive and stark cinema of the 1970s early 80s Europe.

4 Likes

Yep. The first thing I thought when I saw that image was, “Would you like to know more?”

4 Likes

After seven seasons, there are enough old DS9 uniforms in costume warehouses to supply the Space Force for at least the first few years.

Um… they won’t need to go to the bathroom during work hours, will they?

7 Likes

This says unofficial so I will reserve my snark. This is just fanfic.

4 Likes

20 Likes