Compare Trump's new Space Force logo with the Star Trek Starfleet Command logo

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/25/compare-trumps-new-space-for.html

2 Likes

What a bunch of talentless hacks.

8 Likes

The resemblance is even stronger depending which version of the Starfleet logo you compare it to.

200124170737-space-force-star-fleet-split-large-169

13 Likes

Trump’s has more shiny stars and a giant space sperm. Not the same thing at all.

In a meta way it sort of makes sense asTrump branding— it lacks originality, the ideas flow poorly, and it’s hard to understand. If it were gold it would be perfect.

16 Likes

Historical note.

I recently rewatched the curious sci-fi movie “Robot Monster.” That movie has, among other things, what I believe to be the earliest use of the term “Space Force.”

7 Likes

I’d wager there are at least a dozen regulars here who could do a better job.

8 Likes

That was one of my more obscure Halloween costumes.

robot-monster

35 Likes

Well, I mean, if you want to be OPTIMISTIC about this - if Starfleet is ever to be REAL, the imagery needs to start somewhere. I mean in the Trek universe the USS Enterprise aircraft carrier and test shuttle both are part of the canon, IIRC.

7 Likes

Has it occurred to you that we might be the ones living in the evil Mirror Universe?

27 Likes

Surprised they didn’t crib this one instead – the one from our timeline.

OIP.n5RuOkUOp9welHd2VDArcQHaE8

18 Likes

Well, first we need the eugenics wars (from last century), then the Bell Riots (in a couple of years), then world war 3 (which is ever closer).

derry-girls-sweet-gentle-jesus

You guys are not wrong…

18 Likes

Most of us would prefer to get paid for a high-profile job like that :wink:

7 Likes

Clients never want to pay for good work, but the whole world pays for bad design.

13 Likes

Deleted voyager scene: Janeway did some time shit do that stuff didn’t happen. Unfortunately it led to Trump

1 Like

Only just heard of this for the first time today:

Whereupon someone was quick to point out that Star Trek still precedes that by sixteen years.

11 Likes

Hmm… you may be on to something; goatees are suspiciously popular in this universe.

10 Likes

They’ll be great at defending us from asteroids.

6 Likes

Wait until you see the new uniforms…

7 Likes

It’s part of the Department of Air Force, but there’s no air. And they have camouflage uniforms but no helmets, because the air is always breathable on Star Trek. Do we tell them? Or would that spoil the fun?

2 Likes

Oh, the shit-show never ends in this pointless and unasked-for rebranding and reorganization of the Air Force Space Command. It’s pure Trump - he wanted (the attention for) something, didn’t realize/care it already existed, couldn’t be educated as to that fact, ended up imposing something on the military that they had already rejected, and spun the whole thing to his followers as an act of a visionary genius who created a whole new branch of the military.

There was talk about the US military potentially needing to eventually create a “Space Force” in the early 1940s. (Weirdly, this discussion even pre-dates the creation of the Air Force by a few years, but I’m assuming the terminology derives from discussions about an impending “Air Force,” so it doesn’t show up in '20s pulp sci-fi.)

The specific elements of the design - e.g. that central arrow/delta symbol - apparently pre-date Star Trek by decades. The Air Force was using it in their designs going back to when they were still a part of the US Army and revived it a few years before Star Trek came into development. (In fact, I wonder if Star Trek didn’t get inspiration for their design from that, abstracting it.) The highly specific arrangement of the elements in the new design, on the other hand, is pure Star Trek.

Not shown: the gold sashes.

8 Likes