Compare Trump's new Space Force logo with the Star Trek Starfleet Command logo

This tracks with his appreciation for central casting in his hiring decisions. Since his entire presidency is just about the appearance of getting things done, and all the theater that goes along with it, it doesn’t shock me at all that he would pull something like this. Considering Star Treks blatant stance on equality and diversity, I’m guessing his fans haven’t watched it and this is just another way to troll the libs.

Also, we’re talking about this instead of the obfuscation and dismantling of constitutional duty going on in the senate impeachment trial. Just saying.

2 Likes

The Lump has always taken others’ work and claimed it as his own. From his business “acumen” to Obama’s economic success to what he calls the “Trump family crest”.

1 Like

Technically, the delta has been used by the air force space operations since 1961. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Space_Operations_Squadron

Star trek in a nod to that logo used a variant of it on the show. But you know, dont let a little thing like historical facts get in the way.

3 Likes

Ok, but imagine yourself as the designer tasked with designing this logo. You recognize this is a vanity project and that it’s reeeeediculous. How do you parody the whole endeavor through the logo?

This is how.

3 Likes

12 Likes

I think it’s unoriginal and not a great design, but I don’t see it necessarily ripping off Starfleet specifically. It’s a logo for a space-related agency. It’s gonna have stars, it’s probably circular because lots of logos are, and the little orbiting loop part looks just like the one in the NASA logo, more than Starfleet’s. The arrowhead isn’t lopsided like the Star Trek version- to me it looks more like an arrow pointing up, because that’s where space is, which is probably the extent of Trump’s knowledge about it.

If anything, the positioning of the words along the border, with the two little arrowheads in the same spot on either side as the stars on the Starfleet version is the closest it gets, and even that is a common motif with logos for other government agencies like the NSA or Department of Labor.

1 Like

According to the “Guide to Air Force heraldry” circles are for smaller units, (Squadrons or Equivalants) and shields are used for larger organizations. So the change from the shield shaped logo for Air Force Space Command to a circular logo just may be subtle shade throwing by the designers.

3 Likes

If you click on my avi, you’ll notice my location.

9 Likes

How’s that for Republican unnovation?

It’s a retconned Star Fleet insignia over a retconned NASA meatball insignia.

2 Likes

7 Likes

It’s not just the delta, which some of us have already agreed has been used previously. It’s the particular arrangement of the elements that is at issue.

1 Like

Oh I get that. I just felt a bit of historical perspective might be of assistance before everyone started accusing them of just blatantly stealing from Trek.

1 Like

If you’re in the Mirror universe… Spy! Your goatee is fake!

4 Likes

The Royal Air Force was established in 1918.

The United States Army Air Forces was established in 1941.

3 Likes

more or less this.
I mean, yes, he’s the wrong president (on so many levels) but it should really be the exact logo, we should have just asked the rights-holder. they might’ve been totally fine with it. I mean, weren’t we all excited about the space shuttle Enterprise? so, this is the wrong administration and the space force is not the greatest idea. but it’s a thing now. shouldn’t it have the Starfleet logo? I mean, what else?

The main difference here, is that Star Fleet is all about preventing war crimes, and Trump’s idea is all about how to perpetrate more of them.

1 Like

I can’t decide which is more depressing: Donald Trump’s insistence on re-branding Air Force Space Command as “US Space Force”, changing the labels and re-shuffling the org chart a bit to no real purpose, just so that he could take credit for “creating the US Space Force”…

…or…

All the snide, sneering deplora-tarians falling all over themselves to display their utter ignorance of history and tradition, their inability to comprehend anything they can’t relate to some bit of pop-culture trivia, and their disdain for any sort of detail or nuance.

The NASA “meatball” logo was a de novo creation. It inspired many imitators, both IRL and in skiffy TV and movies.

The Star Trek logo is pretty much a lift from (or homage to) the NASA meatball.

The Air Force Space Command logo is inspired by the NASA meatball (and possibly by Trek, though it was created in 1982, well before the Trek logo being used for comparison here).

The current Space Force logo is clearly and unambiguously based on its AF Space Command predecessor:

…which is entirely appropriate, since “Space Force” is mostly just a re-labelling of AF Space Command assets.

Doesn’t have fuck-all to do with Trump or Star Trek, except in the overheated imaginations of some Trump opponents.

Likewise, all the merriment around “space camo” uniforms descends from a DOD tweet about “getiing new NAME TAPES.”

Not “new uniforms.” It’s still the same people wearing the same uniforms, doing the same jobs as before - they’re just swapping the “US Air Force” name tapes for “US Space Force” name tapes.

Which should tell you most of what you need to know of “Space Force” - nothing really new, just a change in labels.

(Now you may wonder why USAF Space Command duty personnel wear woodland camo in the first place, but they’ve been doing it for more than three decades, so you’d have to ask them. Probably the same reason the USAF doesn’t wear blue sky and clouds as camo.)

7 Likes

Oh, and just to forestall any possible confusion, neither the US Space Force nor its predecessor the US Air Force Space Command should be confused with the United States Space Command, which continues to exist independently despite the Space Force re-org.

Completely different things. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hmm, yeah, the Royal Air Force should have been enough for the name to show up in sci-fi, even in the US. I was using the Google tools to look for the first usages of terms and was hitting a big blank before the '40s, but I’m guessing their texts must not include much in the way of pulp fiction…

EPKBCJhWoAEcEMo.jpeg

21 Likes