A directory of websites that are one kilobyte or less

Originally published at: A directory of websites that are one kilobyte or less | Boing Boing

2 Likes

yet that’s not 1024 or fewer with consideration to following links recursively? that is, if my website consisted of ~83 chars:

<!DOCTYPE html><html lang="en"><a href="https://arngren.net/">&#128512;</a></html>

then i’d be in the club?

2 Likes

I was going to make a comment about the size of boingboing.net, but it keep climbing every few seconds when new ads load.

16mb. No, 20. Make that 23. Or 26.

Kind of boggles my mind that this board starts at 6mb.

11 Likes

The BBS neither surprises nor annoys me. There is a lot of user interaction on a single page. It’s a rich application. The home page, though? I’m with you. It’s a bit out of control.

6 Likes

wow. on my browser, BB’s homepage is only 17 200 KB

eta: the html is 17 KB, the images add ~150 KB. I have JS off and block extensively

3 Likes

Great time to remind everyone of BBS’ ASCII page, which is not updated as frequently as it should be:

11 Likes

According to GTMetrix, Boing Boing’s ASCII site is 420KB, 294KB of which is for JavaScript. Of the balance, HTML accounts for 16.8KB. I’m assuming the HTML accounts for the content. While I appreciate the sentiment behind the 1024B club, I question its utility.

2 Likes

For whom it may concern (him specially)

The account number he tried to hide (poorly) is 1243567547

Disappointed that the ads in ascii boing boing aren’t ascii. Also, why doesn’t it link to ascii versions of the articles? I was prepared to switch over completely.

3 Likes

I had a computer science professor in the early 2000s that insisted all of our assignments had to fit on a 5.25 floppy single side (that’s 160 KB), because reasons.

3 Likes

Adyay Ockerblay? :thinking:

2 Likes

Accepting donations of developer time to create a modified Wordpress template we can call to have ascii versions. Just updating our theme to be not-2012-era was about all we could afford, thanks to our needs for object caching and other components that are needed for a site this busy.

The ascii ads, though, I wish there was an ad provided that offered that :smiley:

How so?

4 Likes

There are times I’ve visited the ASCII page to see the most recent post was from a week prior OR the posts at the top of the main page are pushed off the top of the ASCII page and are buried in the middle instead. For example, Mark’s Dropbox/Fullerton story featured at the top of the main page is buried all the way down the middle of the ASCII page. The “Eye of the Tiger” post doesn’t appear on the ASCII page at all. There are several other examples. FWIW, I have both Privacy Badger and uBlock Origin disabled when I visit both sites.

2 Likes

huh. That shouldn’t be. I’ll dig into it. Thanks for the head’s up.

1 Like

Yeah extensive ad blocking and no javascript. Corrected my post - real value for my browser is ~200 KB (depends on the images currently on the page)

1 Like

Ooooo, are you now?

:wink:

3 Likes

Where’s the donation link?

1 Like

Anyone who has some free time to donate is welcome to PM me and we can discuss.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.