A Flickr group devoted to the most beautiful old control panels you've ever seen

Stratotanker!!

You fuel, you.

2 Likes

It’s about the only reason to still have any kind of Yahoo ID.
(Especially given the data breach(es)).

1 Like

Don’t!
Press!
The!
Button!

10 Likes

You nailed it. He used to say, “After babying R-4360s all day long, raising three kids was a piece of cake.”

3 Likes

I’m guessing a 50’s jet fighter of some kind???

2 Likes

Don’t forget to tap the dials.

What plane?
My Dad worked here-

F-105D

5 Likes

AD-4 Skyraider.

3 Likes

Consider soldering off the shelf switches to the contacts in a PC keyboard. That way you get the electronic interface taken care of, and some of the software issues.

1 Like

When I lived in Santa Monica as a kid in the Sixties we were a stone’s throw from the big McDonnell Douglas plant that was next to the Santa Monica Municipal Airport (aka “Clover Field”).

They used to have surplus equipment sales in a dedicated room that had street access. On Saturdays it was open to the public and I remember buying sections of control panels covered with switches, knobs, and analog gauges that had been ripped out of planes and possibly ground control equipment - for 50¢ or a dollar a pop, depending on what the guy felt like charging.

This was back when I was seeing the same kind of control panels on Time Tunnel, Lost in Space,Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and all of those other high-tech Irwin Allen thrillers, For all I know that’s where the studios were buying their crap for building props and sets.

They tore down the McDonnell Douglas plant and the city built a park there decades ago, and I was just reading that they will be closing and dismantling the Santa Monica airport in the next year or two and developing it into park space as well.

5 Likes

Anyone else having trouble connecting to Flickr? I’m in the UK.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.