A healthcare worker ran her own Boston Marathon to spell out "Boston Strong" but she spelled it wrong

Because it is not an airborne disease, it is not the measles, and it is not a chlorine gas attack. She didn’t infect anyone while jogging down the street. You need to be close enough to spray someone with droplets from a cough/sneeze/maybe possibly exhalation in close quarters.

1 Like

AW, come on. I rely on Urban Dictionary to explain things that I don’t care to explain in person.
Such as why my wife was giggling when someone at the (Zoom gathering) Folk Club sang an American Civil War song with the refrain “Tenting tonight!”

1 Like

Not for log!

(Sorry I had to go all Pago Pago on you there.)

2 Likes

By spelling it worng she’s doubtless getting way more coverage.

2 Likes

Aw, you tired.

2 Likes

Just substitute lobstah for the beef, and you’re set.

2 Likes

(⚆_⚆)
I see what you did there.

2 Likes

Ran out of eergy.

2 Likes

Running in loops for hours in a densely populated neighborhood during a pandemic is far closer to dangerous than it is essential. It’s foolish and selfish and quite honestly shocking that this is a health care worker.

I suspect Urban Dictionary still lacks entries for real things, while also having a lot of random, nonsensical chaff as well… which just confuses things.

When doing web searches for terms as diverse as non-English words (including English misspellings, acronyms and terms from fiction) to given names, I end up getting results from Urban Dictionary. Usually, if I actually look at them, they’re unconvincing and often nonsensical as slang terms. They’re either so vague the writer clearly doesn’t have a specific or real act in mind (the above entry), or are so incredibly specific there’s no way it works as slang (e.g. most of the given name entries). There’s a lot of random crap in there.

That’s (a big) part of it. Also driving trollies. Also there are tons of first names in there, which I’m pretty sure are actually just kids describing a crush of theirs in flattering terms for some reason.

If you’ve heard a slang term in the real world (def. have heard “tenting” IRL), the Urban Dictionary entry is probably at least vaguely accurate. Searching for random terms in it, looking for secret slang meanings you’ve never heard of, however, most likely isn’t based on anything, based on the unexpected matches I get from various web searches.

You came back after 6 years to post that?

3 Likes

I’ve also seen total nonsense for pretty common terms. It’s definitely not a site with any particular value.

1 Like

I take it you’ve never been in the Back Bay.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how bad the covid situation is in Boston, but here in the great white north, our Chief Public Health Officer has explicitly stated that going for a jog is a safe and healthy thing to do, as long as you maintain the appropriate distance from other people. Granted, a marathon is one hell of a “jog”.

But of course consider the source. One of our Conservative politicians has pointed out the she was educated in the United Kingdom and born in (startled gasp) Hong Kong and so we must assume her loyalties are questionable and this advice is part of some commie Chinese plot to undermine Canadian economic security.

2 Likes

I think you can easily argue that what she did was not essential. I’m a runner, I ran a solo marathon on Patriot’s Day, and I agree it was not essential to my existence. Though I will often Say it is essential for me to run long.

We can also point out that it is safe for one person to go out and solo run (or sunbathe, or surf, or play basketball at the park), but it isn’t safe for groups to do the same thing. It surely wasn’t safe to host 25,000 runners for the Boston Marathon last Monday.

And there might be an argument that we have a moral responsibility to avoid solo actions that, were we in a group, would be troublesome and unsafe. But I’m not sure that does hold true. The performace of running isn’t what made the Boston need to be rescheduled: that was because of the crowd risk.

It was not dangerous. She wasn’t going to infect anyone else by running down the street. That’s just not how this thing works. You need to be in close proximity to the infected person, or touch surfaces they have shed virus onto AND then touch your mucous membranes. Someone needs to cough on or near you, and then you inhale the droplets that are coated in virus.

The runner under discussion is a CRNA - so she intubates people, which is one of the currently most dangerous medical procedures in the ENTIRE WORLD. I bet she has a pretty good grasp on the technicalities and risk stratification of going for a run.

2 Likes

This is a huge part of my point. It’s never just one person. Especially if you live in a city. If it’s okay for me to play basketball solo in the park, then it’s okay for you to play, and for everyone else. That’s just not how city life works. Along those lines, there’s simply not enough room on the sidewalk for a runner to pass at a distance of 6 feet. Move into the street and then you have the same problem with the bike lane. And in no way to diminish this woman’s professionalism nor straight up heroism for that matter, no one at this moment has a pretty good grasp on the technicalities and risk stratification of going for a run. Until we do, why not play it safe and stay inside except for essential activities?

It’s obvious that you aren’t a runner. Most serious runners do NOT run on sidewalks, even in cities. With people working from home and fewer cars on the roads, the streets are wide open with ample room.

Also, cardio exercise is an essential activity. Keeping minimally healthy helps with Covid-19 outcomes.

Not sure where all your assumptions about this runner’s social distancing are coming from?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.