A healthy 3-foot-long rabbit dies on United Airlines

I bet the giant rabbit is just a hallucination, sent to distract us from the fact that United has been dropping jet engines on people.

2 Likes

Just Kill Me…

4 Likes

I’m sick and tired of these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane!

2 Likes

Slightly misleading headline, as United had only the second-worst rate of animal deaths. But I’d say the evidence doesn’t really support that statement. (Though, arguably, fewer than 3 deaths per 10k animals transported isn’t that many. But I’d sure be furious if it were my pet!)

3 Likes

Do you know what aircraft do or don’t have wider pressure swings in cargo than in cabin?

My understanding is that basically nobody bothers to maintain constant pressure; because that would put substantially more strain on the hull for increasingly minor improvements in passenger comfort; but looking at the geometry of your typical passenger aircraft(basically a tube externally, with a flat internal divider between cabin and cargo); it seems as though the stress on the aircraft would be much harder to deal with if you pressurized only the cabin(so the flat ‘floor’ section would need to be heavily reinforced to deal with the difference in pressure on that huge chunk of surface area); while pressurizing everything inside the tubular hull would give you a much more favorably shaped pressure vessel. I certainly wouldn’t have made any bets on the freshness of the air circulation; or the loving and careful temperature regulation, in an area designated for cargo; but unless pressurized volume is markedly more resource intensive(or structural reinforcement markedly less so) than expected, it seems like you’d make your life a lot easier by keeping everything inside the outer cylinder at the same pressure.

Am I wrong across the board; varies by model; shift in design philosophies at some point in time?

1 Like

As you mentioned, pressure is the same in cargo and cabin. The difference is heating/cooling and fresh oxygen being sent to the cargo hold. I wouldn’t rely on the airline to maintain the cargo hold with a comfortable temperature, but that’s just me. One of my co-workers once fell asleep in the luggage bin of a 737 because the plane was delayed and he was lying comfortably on top of a bunch of bags. Nobody knew he was in there. Cargo door was then shut and he flew 2.5 hours from Cleveland to Houston in the belly of the plane. Fortunately, there was a yellow lab being transported in the same cargo hold so heat and oxygen were supplied. We flew with our chihuahua a couple times because he was small enough to fit under the seat and he was a quiet little guy. Ideally, we take the dogs for road trips over flying though.

3 Likes

Your handle should be Captain Killjoy.

1 Like

Peter? (Lettuce stealer and general miscreant.)

1 Like

I never joke about lagomorphs.

4 Likes

You’ve read the book. You’ve seen the film. Now try the pie!

2 Likes

My sources tell me it was collateral damage in an Executive Decision-like situation, but United is not at liberty to disclose it as the TLAs are trying to hush everything up.

Anyway, rabbits aren’t really all they’re cracked up to be as pets; so don’t get one on a whim, think about it first.

They’re not even that good eating. One rabbit is dinner for two people… maybe four if it’s a big rabbit and nobody’s that hungry.

Squirrels are worse though. Squirrel works out to more than one squirrel per person, and squirrel meat isn’t as good quality as rabbit meat.

/derail

Fuck that.

2 Likes

Is yours just nibbling at the trimmings; or does that fuzzy, innocent, visage hide a terrifying hunger for blood and flesh?

2 Likes

She may not have had a choice. A few years ago a dog owner was in the news because her two dogs had died during plane travel (one was DOA, the other died shortly after landing). She’d been taking them to a dog show and had requested they travel in cabin, but the airline said they had to go in hold because of the other human passengers’ comfort. Somebody forgot to turn on the heat in the cargo hold.

4 Likes

In truth I didn’t let him eat any of it. He just hopped up there when my wife went to the bathroom.

1 Like

Maybe, but the bun was being sold to a “celebrity” buyer so I’m suspicious.

1 Like

That’s basically what I did when moving to Seattle from San Francisco. While the cats weren’t terribly happy with the whole car trip, at least they had room to move around and didn’t have to be stuck in a crate for several hours under sedation.

3 Likes

:rage:

3 Likes

Doesn’t matter who the buyer is. Animals traveling have all sorts of regulations applied to them – most not in favour of the animal.

2 Likes