A journalist on lessons from his Theranos takedown

Nick Bilton’s analysis of his Theranos exposé
How I Got to the Bottom of the Theranos Mess

WTF? John Carreyroux made explicit a fact that had already been obvious to anyone half-awake (i.e. not the tech reporters) – that Theranos was pimping nonexistent technology. Why is Nick Bilton claiming credit for someone else’s work?

1 Like

That’s a tautology, since if scientists ran a business they would become businesspeople.

What I was getting at is that it seems preferable for society to engage in and benefit from scientific work without engaging in business.[quote=“Wanderfound, post:16, topic:86548”]

1. Many scientists think of business administration as a tedious waste of time that could be better spent on research, and
    [/quote]

They would be right - because business is a waste of time, as well as resources.

It requires certain resources, and it seems quite debatable whether or not business is an effective way of organizing or managing those resources.

Umm. Total scam involving continuous lies to both investors the media.

Take out the words but keep the body language and red eyes, and it almost seems like someone drunk or stoned trying to convince me they’re sober.

to me it looks like “the paradigm”, and I don’t think it’s in the vid you posted. Same shoot, just edited out.

also her eyes are really bloodshot. she looks really unwell, strung out, like she hasn’t slept in weeks.

Edit: Yep, it’s “the paradigm”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFBgeN9l_ns

1 Like

Theranos was based on the idea that its tests required much less blood than other tests on the market-- and could revolutionize diagnostics, because you could test for more things per office visit, and, perhaps, more importantly, test for things that were asymptomatic, but could cause problems in the future.

It turned out not to be true, so they had no competitive advantage.

1 Like

Well yes, I suppose that’s not allowed, but it’s hardly revolutionary.

“perineum”

5 Likes

lol yes much better :slight_smile:

1 Like

The author is reflecting on his earlier, more significant story:

1 Like

I’m still waiting for Hillary to return the campaign funds raised by this widely recognized scammer.

Oh, I agree with that. My point was that scientists are often lousy at it. I think the skills for doing science are not just different but orthogonal to doing business.

“If I cared about money, I would never have become a scientist in the first place” - me

2 Likes

I’m almost literally mesmerized by her. I can’t tell if it’s more of a “Cindy” from “Looker” (1981) thing

or a “Marshall Applewhite” from “Batshit Crazy Heaven’s Gate” (1997) thing.

Maybe a bit of both.

4 Likes

Because that’s how they get funding now, as public funding for research universities, even for STEM, seems to be drying up to a large extent.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.