Elizabeth Holmes' last months at Theranos: a "long, labored, highly visible, and heinous corporate death march"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/22/elizabeth-holmes-last-months.html

4 Likes

hey @frauenfelder I think something might need correcting on this…

who built a $9 startup

Maybe missing some 0’s or a b perhaps?

Also…after reading this piece…I bet she was one helluva great significant other. Must have been fantastic to be in a relationship with her /s

12 Likes

From now on, whenever some %!@# talks about electing some corporate fatcat to be President because of experience running a business, I will point them at this Vanity Fair article.

22 Likes
10 Likes

Its just so nice to see a girl corporate psychopath make the big time, just like the boys of Enron did. You’ve come a long way baby!

19 Likes

Nope, no error. Just current value…

30 Likes

I doubt they’re even worth that much now their creditors have come home to roost.

11 Likes

Fake it till you don’t make it.

14 Likes

There’s a story there, surely.

Here’s another, very well written, and I found it terrifying, fascinating and awful:

Not sure I can give your post a “like” because I find this stuff unworthy of celebrating or liking. I agree that we need to call psychopathology out whenever and wherever possible, and thank you for reply.

In a better universe I would have time to read this book:

https://www.appi.org/Gender_and_Psychopathology

16 Likes

So you’re joking and snark aside (I am assuming that’s what that is), did you read the article?

Theranos, which had raised nearly $1 billion in funding for a valuation estimated at around $9 billion, now appeared less a medical-sciences company than a house of cards.

The company is shuttered and gone. It’s current value is $0.

7 Likes

Don’t forget the guy who decided that HP shouldn’t make personal computers anymore:

Or any of these guys:

The mythology that C-class “businessmen” are to be revered is a uniquely American stupidity.

21 Likes

Not ironically whatsoever…the best CEOs are always the ones that listen to their directs and those in the day to day trenches and make decisions based on facts. The worst (like those on this list) are always the ones that don’t listen to anyone, consolidate power structures, dictate instead of advising, and make decisions unilaterally and in a vacuum.

16 Likes

Man, she’s scary.
There’s a career waiting for her as the new Robert Englund.

A counterexample for the latter is Steve Jobs.

3 Likes

Terrifying, fascinating, and awful is a great description of this movie, which features both a (fictional) child psychopath and (a very real) Tilda Swinton. I highly recommend it.

9 Likes

It’s still not clear to me if it started out as an honest operation. It seems like they were working on a real product but then tried to hide their lack of progress due to all the money and good press they were getting and didn’t want that to stop.

4 Likes

Was she the one who snapped her fingers and made everyone disappear? I’m having a hard time keeping up with all the new heroes and villains. :disappointed:

7 Likes

The idea makes sense to someone who is on the outside of the process of using body fluids for testing.

“Hey I go and get my blood drawn and they do a bunch of tests. Why can’t we just make it like one drop and all those tests are done?! So simple!!”

But it isn’t that simple. Blood draws are done and put into differed good tubes with different chemical compounds to help test different things. And one drop is never enough. You don’t need pints or anything. But a sufficient sample is needed for each test. And some of those tests are very complex one small machine was never going to fit the bill.

She was way over her head and the experts were skeptical with good cause.

12 Likes

Yes! This is what I need for my secret lair! War room! Boardroom Giga-table! Armed goons!

5 Likes

That movie is amazing and fucked up.

10 Likes