Theranos's corporate culture was a nightmare

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/22/theranoss-corporate-culture.html

7 Likes

I read that as “Thanos’s”, and wondered why that would be noteworthy…

18 Likes

Still visibly angry, Holmes told the gathered employees that she was building a religion.

Woah. A religion based on a suspicious device? I’ve heard this one before.

33 Likes

I would like to hear more about Amy’s Baking Company.

20 Likes

You can’t fire me! I quit!

2 Likes

Something, something… eyeball planets?

7 Likes

I don’t like making assumptions based on appearance and I really hate commenting on someone’s appearance (especially a woman’s) as reflecting literally anything

BUT

Both the lady from Amy’s Bakery and Elizabeth Holmes have the eyes of someone who is looking for an excuse to scream at you.

13 Likes

7 Likes

It was a restaurant featured on a Gordon Ramsay reality show, run by a couple of control freaks who stole tips, imposed lists of crazy rules on the employees (making it all the easier to fire over 100 of them), argued with customers, cut corners, engaged in bizarre rants against critics on social media, etc. Ramsay gave up on them.

Theranos was a larger scale version of this kind of cult of personality management culture, tempered somewhat by the financial stakes being higher and the investors being more worried about bad publicity.

17 Likes

Somehow this photo still has the mouth-eyes thing…

5 Likes

No, they do this over at the Jezebel comment boards too.
Their heuristic seems to be that you assess the extent of visible sclera. If the iris can be seen as full circle and there is visible sclera all the way around then that’s full pscyho.

3 Likes

Theranos’s corporate culture was a nightmare

Well sure it was; it’s led by vampires. (@fuzzyfungus)

P.S. The turtleneck hides the bite marks.

(I had to look that one up)

ETA:
In hindsight, the last place I worked wasn’t so bad compared to Theranos. (Or Amy’s.) But some of it rings familiar, e.g. my old bosses taking personal offense when someone voluntarily quit for a better opportunity. And I once heard an upbraiding so severe (from the other side of a closed door), in which the boss had become so apoplectic, that she drew a long, loud gasp before bellowing out each word. The denouement(?) was one of the owners doing Federal time.

Anybody who didn’t leave at this point is an idiot

Yes, in hindsight I could’ve done better, sooner.

6 Likes

She looks a little like Overly Attached Girlfriend, doesn’t she?

9 Likes

Anybody who didn’t leave at this point is an idiot and would be well advised to never get near any cult members in the future.

Long hours aren’t a dealbreaker for a startup, people work them expecting the big payday when the IPO happens. Asshole bosses come with the territory too. But when the smart people are leaving in droves and suddenly there is an all hands where the management demand total fealty to the cause then you should know you are on a sinking ship.

18 Likes

GODAMMIT YOU STOLE MY JOKE

But legit did read that as Thanos. “I mean, yeah, it would be…”

5 Likes

13 Likes

This was the signal I missed when my last proper job went from being the best job ever to the worst job ever. I missed it because the company had been pretty good up until the boardroom putsch that put the Randoids in charge.

7 Likes

No no, a religion based on believing in Theranos and its’ products, devoting yourself wholeheartedly to its mission, and never EVER saying/doing anything that goes against Theranos. You know, like a cult, but with a paycheck.

1 Like

Signs your company ship has actually already sunk - from one of my first jobs.

1. The accountant suddenly quits.
  2. You are paid in hundred dollar bills left under your keyboard.
  3. The FBI comes to check if anyone actually works in the office, because they think it might be a money laundering front.
13 Likes

dcfe820b3d6d6d64720fe8b02d224e68df3dab1a_1_368x500

8 Likes