A linguist on why "Redskins" was always a slur

What’s the route from European usage to Chinese. The Japanese use this symbol for temples, but I expect they got it through the Chinese.

That blog post refutes the idea that “redskin” was originally a reference to being red with blood because of scalping. One can see how the term would be very offensive if it did mean that. But it turns out that it’s very offensive if it doesn’t mean that as well. I don’t see anything in that blog post that refutes the main article at all.

3 Likes

Yup. Figured it was a “we’re taking this and making it our own in our own way” sort of thing, just never had the opportunity to ask anyone in a polite fashion what the deal was.

1 Like

I have no idea, but the oldest arechelogical finds with a swastika on them are from South-Eastern Europe.

However, it’s a kind of obvious symbol, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it had been invented multiple times.

1 Like

This implies that you believe that the word indeed means “vagina”, as some activists claim. These claims have been debunked.

There are better reasons to drop the word than made up etymology, if only as it is usually used condescendingly, like the oh-sp-popular “hausfrau” some Americans are fond to inject into their texts about live in Germany.

2 Likes

Oops! You’re absolutely right. My outrage is diverted by a few degrees. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.