A look at UFO, Gerry Anderson's first live-action TV show in 1970

Men and women in fishnet uniforms. Men with their man nipples- it’s the future!

Source: Image from UFO TV show, c1970-1973; Image found on The Living Moon
Image caption: In the future all submarine walls are padded, and there are corded phones everywhere. There is no waste of space either as objects have more than one purpose. Pictured, the captain uses a periscope that is also an all-in-one gym.

There was some attempt at gender parity, and the show had a wonderful and unique style. That said, men were those thad did daring and deadly things, while the women did data entry, communication or something. The world was small, and all the Supermarionation scenes, awesome costuming and futuristic style, could not save fairly sedate storylines and dialogue delivered as dry as a marionettes tongue. I don’t recall ever seeing the “aliens” or even getting what they really wanted, beyond abducting people and scaring humans.

I recommend watching the show with friends and some drink. There is so much acrylic and vacuum formed plastic, it shouts it’s the future! The humans are 90210 beautiful and dressed so …it’s the future! The hero of the show are not the model vehicles moving across backdrops, but it’s retro anachrofuturistic styling.

Watch it alone for the uniforms. Did I mention that all underwater uniforms use netting, because they are undersea and we must not fear the nipple.

12 Likes