A lovely film of spinning tops by Charles and Ray Eames

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/19/a-lovely-film-of-spinning-tops.html

3 Likes

wow, i had no idea there were so many types of tops in the world! now i want to collect some. this segment is so hypnotic that i could see it running on Sesame Street back in the day.

2 Likes

You know, I fiddle with so many things - but it never occurred to me that a thumbtack can be a little spinning top.

2 Likes

tippe256

3 Likes

I’m dizzy!

1 Like

I think the real question we’re all asking is, were Charles and Ray merely brothers, or were they something…more?

Ha, j/k.

1 Like

My intro to their chair fame resulted from wanting the chair-benches I relaxed on in airports, Miami for sure.
Prefect for home theater.

1 Like

This IS a wonderful thing. Thanks.

3 Likes

Also, some time in the late 60s? (early 70s?) I had a toy which was a set of stacking/nesting plastic tops which were started with a battery-driven motor with a rubber tip that was inserted into the ‘V’ of the plastic tops. The challenge, IIRC, was whether you could drop a top inside the next larger one while it was spinning, and not stop it, or could you start 2, 3, 4 or more already stacked tops. It’s bugging me what it was called - can’t find any references/pictures online so far…

Um . . . here are the “brothers” on the beach. I guess they are closer to being brothers than the Wachowskis.
Charles%20and%20Ray

3 Likes

Just watched a video explaining that flip!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.