A Modest Proposal for American government

Why not make it illegal for legislators to get paid unless the rest of the government has a budget in place? You want to force a shutdown over something? Fine, you don’t get paid.

6 Likes

AIUI, this is not as good an idea as it seems at first, since the legislators on the left side of the aisle tend to be less wealthy (and in case of the newer progressive crowd like AOC, significantly less wealthy) and thus less able to weather the pay break than the right-side lot who are the cause of the problem.

6 Likes

Give her a few years… /s

But, seriously the donor class would prop them up. US Politicians NEVER work for free.

1 Like

While I like the way you think, it wouldn’t help in this case since, for AFAIK the first time it’s the POTUS forcing the shut down and the only way the opposition could themselves end it is by giving him his racist vanity project.

Maybe bar elected representatives from golf or Big Macs until it’s resolved?

Gonna take that second one back. I want that rat bastard stuffing his face with as much fried food as his tiny hands can hold.

1 Like

Most of them are millionaires or better and don’t need the paycheck.

1 Like

I will do you one better.

Someone tells Trump that $1 Trillion dollars has been approved for an invisible forcefield at the border. It will take 24 hours to complete. All he needs to do is sign the current budget bill.

1 Like

And who exactly would pass this law?

AOC and Bernie?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.