A modest proposal to solve no-deal Brexit: insure all losses with the pensions of Brexit supporters

In the interests of being an obnoxious nit-picker, I must comment that Gove’s full sentence was “experts from organizations with acronyms in their names saying that they know what is best and getting it consistently wrong.”

Tragically for his point, the organisations with acronyms that consistently got it wrong were the ones he and his ilk used to support austerity, thus causing the popular distrust of authority.

3 Likes

I’m praying for the day when a senior politician can say “Britain has had enough of opinion columnists” and gets voted in as a result.

More nitpicking, but I do not think it ‘tragic’, as almost nobody gets that point. Ironic, yes. The tragedy was that nobody got the valid point you make and challenged him over it publicly and persistently at the time.
Like nobody is really challenging Boris right now about how he supported 10 years of austerity but would now like to reverse it. “So when exactly should austerity have stopped then, Mr Johnson, if it has clearly gone too far, given your new Tory spending promises?”

3 Likes

Ugh, that means I’m no better than them :sob: I really should read the full story and not the headline. Whether or not there was any truth in his assertion is another question though.

1 Like

It was from an interview rather than an article: (from wiikiquote)

Gove: I think the people in this country have had enough of experts, with organizations from acronyms, saying—
Interviewer: They’ve had enough of experts? The people have had enough of experts? What do you mean by that?
Gove: People from organizations with acronyms saying that they know what is best and getting it consistently wrong.
Inteviewer: The people of this country have had enough of experts?
Gove: Because these people are the same ones who got consistently wrong what was happening.
Interviewer: This is proper Trump politics this, isn’t it?
Gove: No it’s actually a faith in the—
Inteviewer: It’s Oxbridge Trump.
Gove: It’s a faith, Faisal, in the British people to make the right decision.

I can’t blame Faisal Islam for being a little bit incredulous at the first half of Gove’s sentence, even if it is probably bad form to interrupt your interlocutor like that.

3 Likes

Turns out plenty of hedge funds have got rich off of brexit by putting their own money in:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-06-25/brexit-big-short-how-pollsters-helped-hedge-funds-beat-the-crash

Funny thing, you’ll never guess what industry Farage and Rees-Mogg used to work in…

3 Likes

Rees-Mogg still does. Well, he did until last week when he joined the Cabinet.

3 Likes

It was proven that claim “350 million euros sent to the EU every X” was a bald-faced lie right from the start. But people still keep beating the drum for Brexit because of racism. Just like the flaming idiots here who voted for Trump, Britain is full of clods who are willing to see their government do things that hurt them and their own children, as long as brown-skinned people are hurt worse. There is no such thing as common sense. There never was. Sense has always been rarer than chicken fur and it always will be.

4 Likes

Very good! I noticed that Crispin Odey had actually made money from his short GBP position. So I guess this has already been done but the other way round!

The Brexiteers have been making money betting on the adverse likely effects of Brexit. I am not sure irony is the right word.

1 Like

Boris Johnson is an untethered idealogue, a narcisstic sociopath, an unconstrained liar.

What in the old days was called a “damn fool”.

And with a parliamentary majority of ONE now, and that ONE is likely to quit (weirdly like the Republicans quietly migrating away from the GOO), Boris is soon to be unclothed and stood in the spotlight.

Then we can get on with investigation and prosecution.

Let’s just start at Cambridge Analytica and merrily go from there.

4 Likes

He is all of those things.
He will soon be exposed - but he DOES NOT CARE. A loss of his majority will simply get us a general election, which he wants. Corbyn is unelectable and Johnson will win and claim he has a mandate to fuck the country by telling the EU to fuck off, and any spending promises broken (i.e. all of them) will be irrelevant given he will likely have a sufficiently large majority.
So there will be no investigation and even if there were, Cambridge Analytica is a mere pinprick on the consciousness of the voters.

2 Likes

bus

6 Likes

Hmm… treason?

2 Likes

Short-sighted greed – the sort of thing that sleazy bankers admire.

1 Like

Yup but LibDems. This is the only moment they’ll have. Any non far-right Tory MP or hopeful will, even if a sociopath, have to make a careful calculation which horse to back.

The Guardian and the Independent are doing a fine job of uncovering the networks of shit underlying all this.

1 Like

In Parliament, any Tory MPs backing anyone else will create an election situation.

In the end I suspect only a very small number of Tory MPs would abandon the party in an election. We might see Mr Grieve out of a seat if deselected, though he is one of the few that under normal circs might make it as an independent against a replacement Tory candidate - but his constituents would contain enough Brexit voters to deny him his seat, I suspect. The point is that any Tories not backing the party (i.e. Boris) won’t get to stand or won’t get elected.

The anti-no-deal (and remain) vote is fragmented because Corbyn thinks principles (and misplaced optimism about his “Oh Jeremy Corbyn” moments) are more likely to prevail than pragmatics and he will not strategise with the LibDems and Greens to avoid a no-deal or Brexit.
The Brexit party (and UKIP) voters will all flock to Boris.

Basically the electoral maths is all in Boris’s favour.

Yes The Guardian and Independent are doing great jobs. Uncovering huge networks of the smelliest shit that the vast majority of voters do not give two hoots about even if aware … and remind me of the reach of those two papers compared to the Daily Borisgraph and the Daily Mail and The Sun and The Express…

I wish to believe your implied (if limited) optimism is well-placed, but I fear it is not.

When the ERG berzerkers said “we cannot accept the backstop” all bets were off. Now they are saying “Even if the backstop were completely removed from the Agreement, 60 of us will still vote against it” (Mrs May’s agreement, that is, without a backstop). That is 60 Tory MPs saying they will not tolerate anything but a no-deal, because there is zero chance of any other agreement emerging that they could vote for, if only because of time constraints, let alone the EU not being interested.

Short of somehow being forced into a referendum (which he will resist utterly) rather than an election Boris has, in effect, already won. It’s all over, bar the shouting, as they say.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.