Brexit: No-deal opponents defeat government, Boris Johnson loses in Westminster

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/03/uk-parliament-defies-boris-joh.html

Boris Johnson defied on Brexit by Parliament, UK PM loses key no-deal vote

3 Likes

I find it mildly amusing that despite the UK’s reputation for decorum its primary governing body frequently devolves into screaming matches and barely contained violence.

32 Likes

Good.

Extra characters required: About fucking time.

22 Likes

Good news for Britain. Now I don’t have to do the panic buying of food stocks until January.

10 Likes

Think of all the wasted time that could’ve been used to fix this clusterfuck, yet here we are. Boris is such a manchild.

15 Likes

Yup. They STILL have no actual plan to replace the British backstop they negotiated and later renaged on. They just waddle out with a smug grin on their faces going “I’ve done a Brexit!” and expect mummy to say well done while she cleans up.

After 3 years most toddlers have moved on.

30 Likes

lolololol

Laughing but crying inside.

“Not a good start, boris.” - Wise words from the unknown MP.

So, what now? Early general election and big tory majority? Judging by the polls anyway. The nightmare continues…

ETA: Wait, has rory stewart resigned? Could be seeing the fracturing of the tories, fingers crossed… Ahh no, he did back in july of course. It’s hard to keep track anymore.

12 Likes

OK, so they can force Boris Bobblehead to shelve the early election and ask for an extension on Brexit.

So what happens when the EU tells Parliament to piss up a rope & that Brexit is still happening? Because there’s simply no confidence in the UK using any delay to actually craft a meaningful counter.

9 Likes

From WaPo article:

Corbyn said… that Johnson’s government had “no mandate, no morals and, as of today, no majority."

Ouch.

11 Likes

Anyway you look at it you lose. :notes:

11 Likes

So maybe the hate fueled idea of brexit and boris is even more stupid than you guys thought. Kind of like our Cheeto Cristo. But don’t give up on stupid you dumb fucks, it can get worse as you rely on hate instead of common decency

4 Likes

That BBC snippet needs the Star Wars crawl treatment.

6 Likes

From what I’ve been told by an Anglophile friend of mine, it’s been this way for decades. And not 2 or 3, as in dozens of decades.

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-British-House-of-Commons-debate-look-like-a-shouting-match

Apparently they still have not managed to ban alcohol consumption in parliament (!!).

https://vinepair.com/articles/uk-parliament-drinking-culture/

7 Likes

We are talking about the same governing body as the one where Michael Heseltine threatened Labour party MPs with the Mace?

7 Likes

Alexander Boris de Pfiffel Johnson and his Churchill fetish have had a bad day.
First his 2nd appearance at the dispatch box was an unmitigated disaster - him flustered and being kicked from all sides of the house. Then him removing the whip from Churchill’s grandson (and two former chancellors and a former Lord Chancellor) for voting against the government - just like 8 members of his cabinet did under May.

11 Likes

Where is his cute blue hardhat and harness?

1 Like

Well, he is Britain’s Trump so… bullseye!

5 Likes

Just to be clear, this means that they kicked them out of the party, right? If so, the Tories just kicked 21 MPs out of their party. That is pretty mind-blowing.

10 Likes

Nah; it’s fine. The distance between the front benches (or the red lines in front of them) is defined as a little further than two sword lengths.

ETA: Yes, really.

21 Likes

MagnificentFoolishArcticfox-max-1mb

8 Likes