A new scientific study tried to crack the secret of creative hot streaks

Originally published at: A new scientific study tried to crack the secret of creative hot streaks | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I like this idea. Very provocative. I’ve been working to open up more creative time for myself and am uncertain about how best to approach it. But this offers some guidance, thanks!

2 Likes

5 Likes

Read (most of) this book in grad school. It was the first real philosophical analysis of creative flow I’d encountered. Worth taking a look at if the subject interests you. Generally, I don’t feel like creativity is something that can be quantified, because the value and even the definition of “creativity” is so nebulous and subjective. Does creativity require originality? If so, what is originality? On and on.

1 Like

Screenshot_20210923_124949

4 Likes

This remains me of another study I once read that showed that 2 drinks was best for ideation, with diminishing returns after 3, while coffee was best for actually executing those creative ideas.

1 Like

I used to get paid to write and database articles in The Journal of Creativity Research (among others), and it seemed like every issue included a few studies like this one. (It also kinda stung that, instead of actually pursuing my own myriad creative impulses and incomplete projects, I was forced by economics to read other people’s research about “Gee aren’t creative people amazing let’s try to figure out why and how.”)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.