Test your Creativity

This is a fun 2-minute test of your power of “divergent” thinking:

I just did it before my morning cuppa and got a good score. Feeling pretty dang creative!
If you try it out, post your words. I’d love to see what other people think of!

4 Likes

Haha, I just did it again but used camera, woman, man, person, tv and a couple other random words and scored “better than 4% of people who’ve taken the test.”
:joy:

8 Likes

Got a 91.7 first time, then rearranged the words and got 93.5. It uses the first seven “valid” words.

5 Likes

I got 78.94, which is higher than 55.57% of other people who have taken this test. This was surprising, as depression kills creativity.

5 Likes

:thinking: Hmm, apparently “antidisestablishmentarianism”* isn’t a valid word for them, but “turducken” is…

My first try, of which they used these seven words, got a score of 91.91, higher than 98.13% of the people who have completed this task:

cornucopia
rollerblading
pocketknife
spaceflight
plum
sciatica
metropolis

I got a little thrown off by the noun requirement, because the initial instructions say “Please enter 10 words” and my brain was already off and running. But then under “Rules” they tell you “Only nouns”.

* “Antidisestablishmentarianism” was my first “big” word. I remember going in to my kindergarden class and trying to talk to my teacher about it, and being rebuffed. :disappointed:

4 Likes

That was my first big word, too! I still remember there was a cartoon picture of a a guy with a jackhammer on the same page. :woman_shrugging:t2:

I found it pretty interesting seeing the “correlation scores” for the 7 words they used.

For example, I used eel, leaf, abacus, tanker, elation, anger and…I’m spacing on the last one they ended up using. The two emotions scored really low, 40, not surprising. But the next lowest was “eel” and “leaf” which was somewhere around 80 iirc. I don’t get it.

1 Like

OMG! Owe me/you a Coke!

Yeah, I had a feeling that using “cornucopia” and “plum” could bring my score down, but I left it, just because it was what I had thought of, and moved on. Those two correlated at 74. (It was interesting that the test wasn’t timed, though. Maybe I’ll take some more time and really try to think of different words nouns.) Also, “cornucopia” and “metropolis” correlated at 73—but I can kind of see that, as both being a container of many things. Those were my two lowest combos.

The first thing I notice is that to me they kind of sound alike. But maybe it’s that they’re both found out in Nature?

1 Like

creativity

4 Likes

New challenge: strive for the lowest score!

5 Likes

Screenshot_20210822-190712

Screenshot_20210822-191006

Screenshot_20210822-191226

Screenshot_20210822-191843

Seems to need a few tweaks.

2 Likes

Micdrop.gif

5 Likes

Huh, yeah, I guess the “nouns only” instruction is really just a recommendation…

2 Likes

4 Likes

Not quite 90%, because I found the bit about using ‘English nouns only’ to be very limiting.

Some of my favorite words are “foreign” in origin…

1 Like

5 Likes

from the FAQs, in case anyone hasn’t already found them…

How is the distance between the words calculated?

Objectively measuring the relatedness of words is difficult, so as a proxy we look at how often the words are used together in similar contexts. We use the Common Crawl corpus, which contains thousands of different words across billions of webpages. Using an algorithm, we compute the distance (or relatedness) between the words; words such as “cat” and “dog” are often used close together and thus have smaller distances between them, while words such as “cat” and “book” would have greater distances. The total score is simply the average of these word distances: greater distances give a higher score.

3 Likes

My scores were 92.4, higher than 98.44%, and 95.04, higher than 99.46%.

2 Likes

Would be really interested to see a comparison showing how being multilingual affects scores. I’m thinking of how someone might get more seemingly random connections because of words which have connotations in different languages or translate weirdly.

Like, the word “bare” could lead a train of thought from “naked” to “carry” to “ursine” in an English speaker which we wouldn’t see in someone who spoke a different native language. They seem like completely unassociated concepts, but they’re directly connected by language.

2 Likes

Maybe they are only using submissions with nouns-only for their research? i.e., maybe you can use other words (obviously, as we’ve seen now) but they would toss those submissions out?

1 Like

It didn’t accept benthos which is a good word.

and trying for a low score:

3 Likes