A new taxonomy of the "Dad Thriller" movie genre

If I never see Die Hard again, I will not be sad.

1 Like

Indeed. In Le Carre’s memoirs he even mentions how, while initially he wasn’t a fan of the casting, imagining Smiley as more an overweight nerdy type, but that Guinness’ Smiley changed the way he viewed the character and that later Smiley books even rewrite the character to be more like Guinness.

12 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text

20 Likes

It’s odd that “Spooks & Scientists” are one category of dads and “Doctors and Lawyers” another. I wonder what about spies makes them more like scientists?

2 Likes

I could tell you, but then I would have to, um, retire you.

12 Likes

The Bodyguard, he left out The Bodyguard - the daddiest thriller to rule them all.

7 Likes

Movies targeting a demographic are popular with that demographic. News at 11.

I think a ore accurate name for the genre is “Everyman Thriller,” or even better: “Walter Mitty Thrillers” since the lead characters are by and large generic and bland, and find themselves in circumstances where they need to become heroes. Wish fulfillment for people with non-descript and boringly safe jobs.

What podiatrist doesn’t secretly fantasize that the Bunyan patient he’s seeing is actually a Russian spy smuggling out US launch codes, and only our mild mannered doctor can prevent armaggedon? As opposed to, well, someone who wore ill-fitting shoes for too long and needs a bunyanectomy?

Calling them “dad thrillers” implies becoming a parent makes one boring, and @Mindysan33 ‘s response to that shit is perfect.

7 Likes

I would have thought their ethical…well their complete lack of scruples and the fact that they lie like I breathe, just faster, would make them more akin to lawyers. Doctors are more like scientists.

5 Likes

Contact is totally a Chick Flick!

Not yielding this one up to the guys. Nope.

12 Likes

lumberjack GIF

16 Likes

almost perfect.

the whole woman in peril, hanging out a window because her work achievement - her watch - is dragging her down to her death, and the only person who can save her from this death due to work and being out in the world is - not herself of course - but her manly cop husband whom she left for her own good reasons

does she even get a high-powered job again? who knows? the only thing we know after that is her relationship to hardscrabble dude cop. that’s all that matters.

sigh

[eta]

“Movies with a grown up plot but you can let your kids watch” is a genre in itself and somewhat lacking nowadays

cough marvel cough

12 Likes

Yes. She does. And later on, a divorce.

10 Likes

I’d argue it predated it, certainly in its original adaptation.

I fail to see how Die Hard or Seven fall into the category. I mean Die Hard in unabashedly an action movie with no pretenses. Seven? I’ve always thought of as a horror movie (though I suspect I may be alone in that opinion).

7 Likes

It gets a solid meh from me. If I’m with someone who really wants to see it, that’s fine. I always have several books on my phone!

1 Like

OMG, I didn’t even know. I’m a fan of the remake apparently.

2 Likes

See it, you’re in for a treat.

9 Likes

The Oldman Tinker is a movie that tries to cram a very complicated novel into two hours, though. Besides the fact that Oldman, while talented, is no Guinness, the cramped space means that the movie is very confusing without the context of having seen the BBC series or having read the book.
[Edit: You are referring to the series as the one being the treat]

2 Likes

This is so amorphous that The Man Who Knew Too Much (as well as a number of other UK Hitchcock movies) from 1934 matches this full on.

3 Likes

I am a horror aficionado, you could definitely call Seven a horror movie but its more of a thriller. If we saw Seven from the victims points of view as the crimes were happening it would be solidly horror. But since its more about the psychological battle between the cops and the killer, its a thriller.

Also, I’ve definitely noticed a tendency to call any horror movie that is actually liked by mainstream critics a “thriller”. Which is fine with me because I usually like middle-ground horror (between a 20- 60% tomato-meter, although I’ve seen a few gems down at 0 or up near 100).

8 Likes