"Movie Critic Matchmaker" figures out which critic aligns with your tastes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/14/movie-critic-matchmaker-figures-out-which-critic-aligns-with-your-tastes.html

1 Like

Looks like it could be a handy service, but my big take away is that I haven’t seen many movies…

6 Likes

I’d seen two of the movies that popped up.

5 Likes

My problem is that there were too many recent films. I generally don’t see things until two or three years after they came out, what with young kids and all.

6 Likes

You can get it to work on desktop by shrinking the width of your browser window.

5 Likes

Also, not only are they recent, they are mostly superhero movies. Which is a weird choice because either people are fans of those and like almost all of them, or, like me, are not fans of the genre and see few of them.

Also, “mobile only”? Just, why? They actually went out of their way to stop it running on a computer. I get that it might be optimized for mobile, but let me run it on a computer if I want!

8 Likes

I imagine they tried to find a range of movies that the majority of active critics have rated. The further back you go the more likely you are to recommend critics who have retired or passed away.

Also, I just went through it with my desktop browser. Just open the tab in a new window and shrink the width until it stops saying it’s mobile only.

3 Likes

I watch a lot of movies, but I don’t gravitate toward (1) superhero/action movies*, (2) adolescent comedies*, or (3) generic horror*, so I’d only seen 4 movies out of their list (and even then, my reaction to those was mostly “mixed” – not good enough to recommend, not bad enough to remember). Heck, I’d seen as many movies on John Waters’ 2020 list than I had from those 40 choices.

• There are a lot of exceptions here, but movies that I’ve seen from these genres (Black Panther, Baby Driver, Mad Max Fury Road, Booksmart, Bill and Ted Face the Music, The Witch, The Babadook) and most are excellent.

A spreadsheet of Metacritic’s Best of Each Year

3 Likes

Almost all of the movies presented to me were from this decade, and made in USA. I’ve seen A LOT of movies, but they are almost exclusively either not made by Hollywood or not made this century.

5 Likes

A site that only works on mobile devices is a bit sketchy. Like it is really a cover for something that will load a lot of malware on your phone.

1 Like

The app did a really fantastic job of presenting me almost exclusively with movies that so obviously suck that I never wanted to see them, interspersed with a few movies that I did see and thought were meh.

I miss Mr. Cranky’s movie reviews.

3 Likes

Nice idea, but far to few movies from far too narrow a selection of genres to get any meaningful results.

3 Likes

Heh – that rule is likely most often true! In this case I think it’s more mundane – it’s a side project by this developer who wanted to have an excuse to learn svelte: https://twitter.com/EleanorClarinet/status/1331646731268751360

2 Likes

Joe Bob Briggs is still my favorite movie criitc

Followed by Ruthless Reviews, which gives what should be the admission amount based on quality of the film

1 Like

so how do you fake what the mobile people call a “swipe”?

It sounds like this is a pet project… so either its a work in progress or its more about the idea then a product.
That said, years ago i tried to figure this out for myself as well.

1 Like

Fuck that shit.

2 Likes

Click and drag.

Really? He’s kind of a giant asshole.

1 Like

I mostly like his choice of films to review. Plus there is the goodwill built up from TNT’s Monstervision marathons of old.