A proposal to stop 3D printers from making guns is a perfect parable of everything wrong with information security

Aside from pest removal (which has to be a fairly limited field), what else constitutes a “professional” shooter. Is a hunting guide considered that even if it is on the weekend, or are kangaroos considered pests.

Even in the US with a plethora of shooting sports, while some people enjoy some sponsorship, very few are “professionals” in the sense they shoot as a full time job. People like Rob Latham and some of the top shooters do it as full time gigs (some of them employed elsewhere within the field), but that is after years, and years of honing their skills to be the top. How can you be proficient with something you can’t even own? Same with exhibition shooters like Jerry Miculek. The majority, like a guy I know who is an up and coming USPSA shooter, he has some sponsorship, but has a day job (mechanic). I assume that wouldn’t be considered “professional”.

I can’t watch your video now, if it explains it, then I suppose I will find out there. Still, this sounds a lot like the NYC conceal carry permit, if you are one of the handful of people who exhibit a specific need with the right credentials, but most people don’t have any such path.

At least places like Germany have a licensing scheme and various other limitations, but there is a path for the average person. I suppose this removes the “I have one just to have one” owner, but the hobbyists who dedicate time and money for various sports have the option if they put in the time and money to jump through the hoops.

Kangaroos are considered pests and kangaroo shooting is a fairly substantial activity. Not huge but significant. I have never heard of hunting guides here. You are either a hunter or not. Based on the info above there is no way to own a Category D license unless you need it for your job. There are people who carry handguns, because they need them for their jobs (like transporting cash), but most handguns are used by the police.

Handguns used for target shooting are a totally different thing.

edit: for a start the barriers to owning a hunting rifle are significant so you won’t be able to make a business taking people out hunting.

1 Like

Crickets…

Excellent article, except… Please do not editorialize about that which you are ignorant: such as the imaginary distinction betweeen “anti-personnel” and other types of firearms, and “minimal curbs” on what is a civil right in the US, typically defined as such by those who don’t understand or agree with that right.

The NFA didn’t work in Oz, at least not according to the universities of Melbourne and Sydney.

Anything that is covered by the Kriegswaffenkontrollgesetz is right out.
(Unless it’s not working anymore and just for show.)

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/krwaffkontrg/anlage.html

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.