A rape survivor on Trump's "Locker Room Talk"

The whole power thing…arrrgh! The guilt (“Why didn’t you tell me ‘No’?” “I did!” Followed by either, “No, you didn’t” or “Well, I didn’t hear you”). The resultant mistrust of other humans beings and of one’s own judgment, warranted of unwarranted (“How can I tell if someone else is going to try it on me again? I can’t see the future; I thought that person was ‘okay’ and I was wrong.”).

And no violence involved, not one bit.

Thank you for your sympathy. And I know…but oh, it’s just so hard these days, I think for anyone who’s been raped, with all the talk about it. For me, it reinforces what little progress the human race has achieved in becoming “civilized”. It pains me, matter how much I try to turn my mind from it, distract myself from it…unless I become a total hermitrix or an unfeeling machine, it’s going to be assaulting me and everyone else from as many media outlets as do exist. No puns intended.

And if I’m not making sense, four letters (which I’ve avoided admitting to for a long time): PTSD.

Thanks.

14 Likes

You’re making perfect sense, hon.

Stay strong and know that you’re not alone.

It’s been a long time coming, but change is gonna come.

12 Likes

:smile::cry::blush:

8 Likes

“Locker room talk” is cultural by definition. Trump’s excuse basically boils down to, “This is just the culture.”

It’s rape culture in action.

So you can stop trying to gaslight us into believing that rape culture isn’t real.

29 Likes

Just got back from the Y down here in Austin. 75 minutes on the elliptical (my knees thank me) then a 1000m swim. Then chatted with a bunch of guys in the locker room. Normal guy stuff. Football, cars, and past sexual assaults. You know – lockerroom talk.

6 Likes

Ah, so this explains the other thread.

Silly @LDOBE;

Don’t you know by now that deflection is the name of the game?

What Mussolini in Too Much Makeup said is utterly indefensible, so both his fanbase and rabid Hilary haters have to grasp at any straws even remotely within reach.

Yes, Billy Boy was a known womanizer, and possibly a sexual predator as well; but as you stated that’s besides the fucking point.

##Bubba has already been the POTUS, and he’s not the one running for office now.

“Yeah, but look what the other guy is doing!” is not an acceptable reason for bad behavior, and I wish some people would quit making excuses that are unworthy of even a 6 year old child.

12 Likes

Relevant article from the Beeb:

But most critics would not resort to the kind of extreme language that has seen (Trump campaigner Emily) Longworth blocked by Facebook for repeatedly violating its “community standards”.

So why does she do it?

“If you have controversy… you strike conversation,” she says.
"Unfortunately, it’s the way society works… You do strike up conflict, but it promotes business and promotes the cause.
“This may be rash and unjustifiable with other people. It’s not with us.”

4 Likes

I’ve not experienced rape, and I’m in awe of those who have the bravery to share their experiences, so thank you. What I, and every single female friend I know have experienced is some element that contributes to rape culture – we all have at least one story that involves some form of unwanted touching. When I read any statistics involving rape, sexual assault, sexual harrassment, I find it hard not to roll my eyes. “Underreported” is an understatement of gargantuan proportions.

When Trump and Bushy got off that bus and Bushy said, “How 'bout a hug for the Donald?” that is sexual harrassment. When some dude grabs my ass while dancing at a bar, and I tell him to stop, and he does it again, that is sexual assault. When a girl and boy are parked in a car and he grabs her head and guides it to his crotch and she gives in even though she doesn’t want to do so because she’s afraid of losing her boyfriend and her status at school, that’s rape culture.

17 Likes

“If you have controversy… you strike conversation,” she says.

I think if you substitute propaganda amplification for conversation the statement is spot on.

5 Likes

##Those words;
##I do not think they mean what she thinks they mean.

6 Likes

I read it as strike strike rather than “jackpot” strike.

6 Likes

4 Likes

Technically, I would classify your first example as rape culture and/or pimping, the second as sexual harassment/abuse, and the third as sexual assault.

4 Likes

But is HRC part of the rape culture by accepting her husband’s behavior? The present Mrs. Trump? What is the female role in all this? This discussion has got me thinking…,and it’s a whole new thread, I guess.

5 Likes

I think it’s a good question and we should talk about it… should we start a new thread?

4 Likes

Why not? Let’s do it!

um…how do we do it? (still learning here, lol)

I thought you were referring to Hillary at first :confused:

Done and done. You can create and link to a new topic by clicking on the link option by the reply button. That will give you an option to start a new topic with your link. Click it, and it creates one for you and you can add whatever you want there.

5 Likes

I was thinking about the first example (Trump/Bushy/super gross request for hugs) as sexual harassment because it happened at work for the woman. What choice did she really have? If she had said no to these powerful men while she was technically at work, what would be the consequences for her? If we had seen just that part of the video without the preceding “grab them by the pussy” remarks, it seems like it could have been filmed for a workplace training video of something you absolutely shouldn’t do. And I’ve seen iterations of those types of training videos that don’t exactly operate on subtlety.

But I concede your point – I’m not an expert in these definitions by any means.

8 Likes

Very good point, definitely!

3 Likes