'A riot is the language of the unheard.' —Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

22 Likes

Also, in case you ever need it…

20 Likes
18 Likes

Explode. The Third Precinct in Minneapolis has been burnt to the ground. Had they not been fired the Officers may have been inside.

Speaking of Riots. I was just gradeschooler when Boston, MA exploded over the assault by Police Officers of some welfare mothers who were protesting at the Social Services office and had a in person view of the havoc and destruction it wreaked. I didn’t understand it then and I don’t understand it now. How does destroying your own neighborhood bring justice? Blue Hill Avenue has yet to recover and that was 53 years ago.

1 Like

grumpy-cat-good

14 Likes
11 Likes

Also:

AND:

Read the whole thread, before dictating to people – who are watching people like themselves be murdered with impunity while the media helps the murderers lie about it – what is an acceptable way to protest.

ETA:

21 Likes
20 Likes

“If you do nothing you still do something/do you see me…”

3 Likes

Leaving aside the growing body of evidence that the police are the ones inciting destructive behavior to shape media coverage of the protests, I genuinely hope you never find yourself feeling so out of options in drawing attention to the injustices you face that burning down your own neighborhood becomes the last available outlet to you. Riots don’t happen because the system is working.

But I guess you’re right. They really ought to be burning down the neighborhoods of the police officers and their families instead. I’m sure that would be well received.

As for the third precinct, good riddance. It was clearly not fit for purpose and should have been razed as an institution long before this week.

16 Likes

When the shootin starts, it’s Putin’s smarts.

11 Likes

Is it their own neighborhood though, or is it where they live because there is nowhere else? Is the neighborhood itself a symbol of the injustice they fight against?

Have you ever tried to understand? Have you ever read the history of why these riots happen?

12 Likes

Dude. I was there in 1967. Both the Social Welfare office and Blue Hill Avenue were my neighborhood. This thread is about riots not redlining.

Being there and understanding are two different things. As you said earlier

I doubt you had a full understanding of the social conditions that led to the riots at that time.

12 Likes

Well Intersectionality sounds cool and all as a theory but when were the Feminist Riots? I was going to add this to my previous post about the welfare riot in Boston: The Social Services office was not burned down.

(Thanks to another Happy Mutant for reminding me of this fact.)

Also…

12 Likes

What about the Feminists though? Did they have a riot/s, or not?

If you mean straight cis-gender feminism, then most definitely. That in fact goes back much further.

But the Stonewall Riots certainly involved feminists, so your distinction is a category error (though I suspect you meant the somewhat problematic narrower categorical definition).

18 Likes

I was just reading about this one

20 Likes