A sculptural, hand-made lamp inspired by black holes

Thus leaving the forensic pathologists deeply perplexed.

2 Likes

More like a cosmic power washer

3 Likes

I dunno, isn’t this the moment in CSI: Boing Boing where the chief investigator say, “There’s only one guy in town who makes lamps this fancy! Lets go and give Art Donovan the 3rd Degree!”

3 Likes

I’d watch that.

3 Likes

I agree, beautiful, lush shots, though I do think the website color palette does a disservice. A white text on black would really make the images pop…

4 Likes

You’re right, of course, it’s just a lamp. As a piece of art, it’s perfectly fine, and whatever was going on in the artist’s mind when he produced it is pretty much irrelevant. Artists, even those doing realistic pieces, aren’t aiming for scientific truth.

This story caught me after I’d read a string of sloppy articles by supposed science journalists who apparently can’t read scientific papers, and my tolerance for pseudo-science mumbo-jumbo was at a low ebb. But, yes - it’s just an interesting lamp.

3 Likes

Hang on, we’re not what now?

1 Like

In that regard, I do share your frustration. For a long while, I believed a way to alleviate that would entail taking the time to explain fact versus fiction to the hardline followers and ‘professional’ enablers of bogus science; as you can imagine, that only created more frustration. Now, I try not to get beyond making a simple, rational, restrained case, … then move on. Anything more would blow my circuits. :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“Edgar_Carpenter, post:11, topic:142568”]
And it’s a popular culture lamp, not an accurate description lamp. So lots of people will be just fine with thinking that light comes out of a black hole.
[/quote] Actually, Edgar, that is the reason for the bronze disks (sheilds) front and back. - to hide the light (of the bulb)! The curved arcs around it and the glass globe represent the accretion disk when they reflect the light. As far as those who believe in the “Virgin Birth and that space aliens walk among us and that the earth is flat”, well… people believe what they want to believe regardless of the lack of evidence. However, those “Flat Earth” aficionados should be banished to that Ice Wall that surrounds our flat disk. (BTW: That “Ice Wall” theory came to popularity right when G.O.T took hold of our collective imaginations. Coincidence? I rather think not!).

1 Like

I’ll try it! Thank you.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.