A service that turns pictures of keys into working keys

Something about unsolicited dick pics…but I can’t make the joke work smoothly.

4 Likes

Well, maybe not “crazy stalkers” as much as people in your social circles that probably should not have copies of your house key, that guy at work you had to complain to HR about, who noticed that you took a bathroom break, etc…

I get that the technological genie is out of the bottle, but now that everyone carries a app ready camera with them at all times, it basically means that anyone who can get a quick picture of a key of yours now has access to your house or other locked goods.

4 Likes

Do those work if the power is out?

2 Likes

Amazon knows the way to your hardware store.

I really do have to go out of my way to avoid the HD and Lowes. Sure, they have what i need, but I have to walk a mile and a half inside the store, and that’s so I can find someone to ask where the stuff I need is!

2 Likes

Yes, the ones I have seen have batteries. I assumed they didn’t have AC.

2 Likes

9v battery. It tells you when it’s getting low - and there is a key override if you screw up and don’t replace it. Flash ROM stores your codes.

Edit:
This is the one that I got - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Schlage-Camelot-Satin-Nickel-Keypad-Deadbolt-BE365-CAM-619/203072627

4 Likes

So not in fact a solution to fear of someone getting hold of one’s key.

[quote=“popobawa4u, post:15, topic:104509”]
Territorial people are probably shitting themselves over this. Keys are the ultimate in presumed security through obscurity, and treated as both sacrosanct and weird status indicators.[/quote]
By “territorial people” you presumably mean “people who own or rent the place where they live.”

The only intentional key-janglers I’ve ever known have been maintenance men, and none have been pompous. I do have 9 keys on my ring - 5 for work, 1 for home, 2 for the cars, one for my bike - and they have been known to jangle, but if someone confronted me on the street with a line like yours I would assume they were on PCP or bath salts.

2 Likes

When my front door lock wore out and was getting too unreliable, I thought about getting something hard to pick as a replacement. But there’s a glass window on each side of the door, big enough for fire-escape safety, and I’d really rather have somebody pick the lock than break the window. So I got one that had a handle that was easy to open with one hand when you’re carrying stuff. I haven’t actually tried picking it, but I assume it’s not tough.

1 Like

Not news to me. About 15 years ago I had a key that was several generations of copying from the original. A friend reccomended a locksmith to recut the key from the code. I walked in and started explaining this to the receptionist and the locksmith looked over her shoulder, about five feet away, and says ‘That looks like a <string of about 5 numbers>, I think we made one last week, look in the top drawer of the filing cabinet.’ The receptionist handed me the key, said ‘Go try it in your car, if it works, come back in and pay for it’. The key worked like a charm.

So I’ve known keys can be broken by a mark one eyeball at five feet for some time. It does not surprise me cameras can now do the same.

3 Likes

I’ve seen it done on a key for a pair of handcuffs (supplied by Dutch cops without a key)

Some of those “territorial people” have had problems with stalkers and violent people. In my case
I relied on more than keys to keep them out, but if their landlord woun’t let them make changes to their door then that’s all they will have to keep them safe.

4 Likes

Only if you’re a screw up, like I said. The lock lets you know when the battery needs replacing well ahead of time. I keep the extra key in the house. And I have a hidden key out back for the regular back door deadbolt on the patio.
That said, there is no stopping someone who wants to break into a house but you can make yourself less of a target. Most thieves go for the easy or the staked out. The best way to deter night time away from home theft is to keep the front of your house well lit up and use motion sensing floods strategically placed on the sides/back.

1 Like

By “territorial people”, I mean people who feel an instinctual drive towards believing in the concept of “territory”, and who conduct themselves as such in their daily interactions. It’s almost a tautology. The American Heritage Student Science Dictionary Second Edition, describes territory as:

A geographic area occupied by a single animal, mating pair, or group. Animals usually defend their territory vigorously against intruders. Different animals mark off territory in different ways, as by leaving traces of their scent along the boundaries or, in the case of birds, modifying their calls to keep out intruders.

Perhaps it is a geographic or cultural problem, but I have often encountered people who begin to fidget in the presence of others. Usually when the shared space is too silent for their liking. Noisy fidgeting is often done by those who seem to think of themselves as well-off somehow, as a means of calling attention to themselves. Jingling coins and/or keys are favorites.

If you were thus confronted about something you were doing in public, it would seem defensive to deflect this back to the speaker without first auditing your own activities/behaviors. If your first reaction is to insist that annoying things that you do are my own hallucinations - well, you would be disillusioned of that notion by the time our exchange was concluded.

If you were thus confronted about something you were doing in public, it would seem defensive to deflect this back to the speaker without first auditing your own activities/behaviors. [/quote]

It wouldn’t take deep reflection to think, “this random person is interpreting my fidgeting as some kind of personal affront to the point where he is accosting me on the street, he must be nuts.”

3 Likes

Then one merely needs to be concerned about someone getting a telephoto video of pressing the keys.

1 Like

So, in your book your reminder is level, and you don’t mind your chosen words influencing ‘their cool facade’ as you put it, into a “sputtering rage” as you put it, AND that’s all summarily more dignified than smearing things with dung?

We may have different standards, you and I.

Last time I went to my local Ace Hardware, I was mocked to my face by the clerk manning the desk for being a young woman looking to buy a handful of drywall anchors without knowing exactly where in the wall of approximately ten billion tiny drawers of wall fasteners they were located.

So yeah, security issues aside, I’d rather order a key through a goddamn app at this point.

2 Likes

And by that, you mean pretty much everyone who isn’t homeless.

1 Like

A trip to Lowe’s is always a bad time. No one knows anything, and you can’t even find people to ask. (It’s the retail equivalent of “The food is terrible, and the portions are so small!”)

3 Likes

This is the setup for one of the oldest off-color jokes in creation. The next line goes: “So then he asked me, ‘you wanna screw for that anchor?’” I’ll leave the rest to imagination.

1 Like