A startup wants to make lab-grown steak out of captured carbon emissions

Originally published at: A startup wants to make lab-grown steak out of captured carbon emissions | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Looking forward to the day a tractor trailer blows past me on the highway, spewing andouille out of the stacks.

14 Likes

A good name would be “steak-o-lean”, I think…

6 Likes

The process is feasible but sounds like one of those “if its too good to be true, it’s probably not” kind of thing. I can’t really buy into the concept of them being fully carbon negative any time soon, but we’ll see i suppose. And the end result isn’t lab grown meat, it’s industrially grown protein from fermentation tanks and then processed to hell to make it look like “meat”.

8 Likes

Too many buzzwords for me to believe without evidence.

7 Likes

Rickey Smiley Wow GIF by TV One

6 Likes

Yeah, circle back when they have it tee’d up.

4 Likes

I get your point, but if you were talking to an alien crystalline entity who was completely unfamiliar with all this carbon business, try explaining how we use the sun rays to grow small green plants that figured out how to transform light and air into sugars, and then we have large dumb fairly distant relstives of ours to eat this grass, as they have cleverer stomachs better suited for using tiny microbes to digest the plants, and we then set the large dumb relatives on fire and then eat them. It all sounds very improbable.

4 Likes

Does “thin air” produce “lean meats”? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Which means not now. Which means using commodity CO2. Which means…

…is utter bullshit. It will be a carbon contributor until a) the cost of carbon capture and reuse is less than the cost of commodity carbon and b) the capture process itself doesn’t require emitting more carbon than it captures.

“Under more realistic assumptions, energy equivalent to the output of around 500GW of nuclear or 1,200GW of onshore wind would be needed. To put this in perspective, there is 345GW of nuclear and 432GW of wind power capacity around the world today.”

7 Likes

I dunno… this sounds like an interesting project, but also it sounds like a lot of bullshit. It’s elevator pitch is made to make you go, “Golly gee whiz, we reduce carbon and water usage while making it so we don’t kill animals?”

It’s almost…too good to be true.

IMO it sounds like another Theranos.

4 Likes

Re: Carbon Briefs and air pollution… /s

https://www.amazon.com/Charcoal-Underwear/s?k=Charcoal+Underwear

5 Likes

How do I cook and digest this “meat” without emitting carbon?

1 Like

This startup seems more plausible:

1 Like

Youtube Yes GIF by Rosanna Pansino

5 Likes

Air Soylent Green. It’s what’s for dinner.

3 Likes

So, I followed that link, it was just what I was hoping it wasn’t, and I expect my next week or so of targeted internet ads will be fart related. But kind of worth it.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s like someone did a mash-up of current buzzwords (carbon capture!, cultured meat!) and are selling it as a start-up, disregarding the actual feasibility or benefits of such a scheme. Which all by itself makes it feel disingenuous. But I’m not aware of anyone using hydrogenotrophs to actually ever make food - it seems to be entirely speculative, plus, of course, as mentioned, it’s not remotely meat.

3 Likes

I would absolutely love for this to be true. It does seem somewhat like some hastily spun SEO designed to reel in people who would absolutely love for it to be true.

2 Likes

Obligatory Better Off Ted reference

3 Likes