A surprising solution to the (in)famous "Cross the Network" puzzle

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/06/a-surprising-solution-to-the.html

1 Like

Turning a 2 dimensional puzzle into a 3 dimensional puzzle is definitely a trick.

19 Likes

Is it a “trick?”

I defy you to present a single argument for why it isn’t.

8 Likes

“Is it a “trick?” That’s up for you to decide.”

I’ve decided; it is most definitely a trick.

6 Likes

Hey, if adding arbitrary dimensions until the math works is good enough for string theory, then it’s good enough for me.

12 Likes

Yes, if you alter the puzzle into a shape in which it can be solved, then you can solve it. QED.

Kind of a dumb puzzle, though, IMO.

3 Likes

The torus is two dimensional. You may often embed it in three, but you needn’t, and you may embed a plane in three just the same. Praise be to Gauss, and to actual mathematics. This one warrants the eye stabbing xkcd.

3 Likes

reminds me of this in terms of solutions to problems that don’t actually solve anything https://youtu.be/sKqt6e7EcCs

2 Likes

I mean, that’s like saying “if Cory leaves Austin at sunrise, how can they drive to Boston before the sun sets?” And saying the answer is to use a wormhole or a time machine.

4 Likes

“Everything is a 2-dimensional Torus if you are brave enough!” -Abraham Lincoln

4 Likes

Very reminiscent of this excellent mug. If you haven’t seen it, I challenge you: what simply stated problem is solvable on this mug?

5 Likes

Now if someone had just wrapped 18th century Königsberg around a torus…

4 Likes

Just to make it clear: This would traditionally be considered unsolvable, because there are 3 areas (4 counting the outside) with an odd number of edges, right ?

1 Like

I’m assuming the “right?” part is requesting confirmation rather than just being a rhetorical flourish.

Yes, you are correct.

In graph theory problems like this, the region outside the “brick wall” drawing is no less or more important than any region inside it, so mathematicians would usually say there are 4 regions with an odd number of edges, rather than saying there are 3 such regions excluding the outside.

On the other hand, the curved path you are trying to draw only has 2 ends, so as soon as you identify more than 2 regions with an odd number of edges you’ve proved the task is impossible, so you can stop counting.

2 Likes

Truly a Kirk-worthy solution, but ultimately it spoils it for everyone when the puzzle is reworded to specify the topological nature of the playing field. Another victory for the lawyers.

1 Like

You want to connect gas, water and electricity to all houses, and the pipes not allowed to cross? I think that is doable…

Edit: I got it! was much more challenging then I expected! Thanks!

3 Likes

Well, I mostly wanted to be sure I understood the rules correctly.

I typed “infamous cross the network puzzle” in my favorite search engine, and you wouldn’t believe the stuff that came up, but none of it was related to this puzzle. The wikipedia entry did show up later, but only after searching “famous cross the network puzzle”. Figures.

It’s even easier if you embed it in 73-dimensional space.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.