A Thanksgiving prayer from William S. Burroughs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/28/a-thanksgiving-prayer-from-wil-3.html

7 Likes

An annual tradition at our house!

6 Likes

This video has a great beat.

4 Likes

Never been more true, never…

4 Likes

A refreshing change from Alice’s Restaurant

3 Likes

Thanks for the American Dream to vulgarize and falsify until the baaare liiies shiiiiiiiiine through.

From your lips to Trump’s ear…

3 Likes

Hey, it’s this.

Oh god, he would be in schadenfreude heaven if he were alive today.

1 Like

My annual reminder that William S. Burroughs murdered his wife, and probably shouldn’t be celebrated as the good kind of countercultural bad boy.

2 Likes

Ah Thanksgiving, that happy time of year when the editors of BoingBoing set aside their qualms about privilege and abuse to offer a cheery homily from Good old William S Burroughs who lived off his parent’s money, taking drugs and having sex with minors.

Also, sharing a poem is not equivalent to celebrating its author.

3 Likes

I saw a new take on thanksgiving yesterday… Heather Cox Richardson tells us why it’s really a holiday about kicking over the southern slaveholding fascist bastards.

2 Likes

and he’s dead now anyway. and he’s been dead for a while, and he only manslaughtered his wife, and

I realize you’re being sarcastic but posting the reading of a poem by a dead writer isn’t celebration, and accusing @pesco of celebrating Burroughs is inaccurate. Don’t like Burroughs or his work? Excellent, I don’t like Burroughs either and from what I know of him he was in the balance a rotten person, although I appreciate some of his work and don’t have to worry about him profiting from that appreciation. But if one is snide to someone else for liking problematic works or the works of problematic authors then they open themselves to a little pushback. Your implication that that pushback is apology for the author is likewise inaccurate.

ETA: for added context, here are my comments about Burroughs over the past couple years this was posted…

3 Likes

He’s a historical figure now, like Mark Twain or Walt Whitman or Ernest Hemingway. He’s past liking or disliking, outside our power to approve or condemn. We can’t excuse him or redeem him or punish him.

1 Like

1 Like

As noted above, Burroughs is really not a great guy. I think it’s important to keep that context in mind when reading or listening to his works. But his works still have value.

However, Alice’s Restaurant gets my vote. It’s a call to action, instead of a bunch of complaining.

1 Like

Zero beef with @smulder, who I like and respect.

Just clarifying that my initial response was to distinguish between appreciating problematic stuff and (as @smulder says) excusing a lowlife.

Absolutely no issue with people disagreeing with or even despising my own views, but I’ll always clarify when I believe I’ve been misconstrued (in this case honestly by a good faith misunderstanding).

From what I know of Burroughs that’s a sizeable understatement. And pointing that out when he’s invoked is absolutely legitimate. Equating sharing of his work as celebration is what I regard as inaccurate, and because Burroughs was a lowlife, it’s sort of a calumnious (of the person sharing it, not the lowlife author) inaccuracy, honest though that inaccuracy may have been.

Sharing is not celebration and appreciation of a work is not in any way endorsement of or apology for the artist. For those to whom that’s controversial, okay, I’ll agree to disagree with them.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.