A Thanksgiving Prayer from William S. Burroughs

Originally published at: A Thanksgiving Prayer from William S. Burroughs | Boing Boing

6 Likes

AND … we now welcome newbies to our annual competition to see who can compress the most comprehensive critique of Bill Burroughs into the shortest post

28 Likes

41fd051b-6b43-4c4b-bf42-24fb2d6e9578_text

19 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

18 Likes

For sale: pedo books, never read.

13 Likes

What is “the last and greatest betrayal of the last and greatest of human dreams”?

5 Likes

Kenan Thompson Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

I look forward to this every year now! It’s become a comfort!

19 Likes

Waiting 20 minutes for your dealer and he is nowhere in sight

9 Likes

He murdered his wife, but some people still admire him.

15 Likes

boom GIF

It’s really not Thanksgiving for me, until Kathy reminds us that Burroughs murdered his wife!!! Now I can enjoy the day!

17 Likes

I have one job!

18 Likes

And you do it well!

Thanks Thank You GIF by Sound FX

12 Likes

Sure beats cleaning up after Thanksgiving dinner!

8 Likes

It’s an example of a certain mid-twentieth century pose, one that struck some as poetically profound.

Fortunately, sufficent hindsight enables us to see what it really is – pretentious, tedious twaddle.

11 Likes

I think this is why Burroughs ended up appealing to later generations of youth counterculture, especially during the punk/post-punk era - he summed up a lot of cynicism of those generations… But maybe it’s time to embrace something less cynical?

11 Likes

I used to wonder what Laurie Anderson saw in him.

12 Likes

It was a different time, I guess? I think part of it was the quality of his voice and the strangeness of his prose which did pair well with her work. I mean, even without access to the internet and his complete background there were plenty of sources back then to know that he was not a good guy (citation: all of his own works). I wonder if she has ever talked about her thoughts, or regrets, around it since.

4 Likes

I have that album… Also, I think that he did have some insights (language is a virus, maybe)… but still, problematic to say the least.

8 Likes

I thought this tradition was supposed to be like Mornington Crescent, and that’s we’d work up to, “He shot his wife.” via careful stages. However, this is a winning gambit; so fair does. :+1:

6 Likes

interesting / depressing to see the 80s/90s underground zine context of boingboing drift a little more each year away from the current readership :smiley: