A listing of those topics which will automatically cause a topic to derail in circular arguments.
- Cast Iron cleaning methods
- Knife sharpening methods
- Coffee brewing equipment
- Flammability rates of electric cars
- Discussions about derailing
- “Misogynistic statements are ok when my favorite person does it”
- The proof of telepathy
- Why are we platforming [this person]. If we ignore them they’ll go away!
- Whether punching Nazis is bad
- Whether people who use leafblowers are bad people
- Bikes vs cars, or bike lanes
- Woody Allen, artistry vs creepiness
- Ketchup on hotdogs
- Pointless White Male hero worship and stanning/caping for insufferable asshats
16(a). Clever definitions of libertarianism
- Homelessness in LA or SF
- Guy whose name rhymes with Peel On Rusk
- Rockstars and their penchant for underage girls (yes, even David Bowie)
- I did it to piss off Joey\
- Boingboing is not the same as it used to be
- Whether electric cars should pay road maintenance taxes
- How to pronounce “gif”. Hint: rhymes with knife.
- Masks: Protection or theater?
24(a). Also, which type of masks?
The quality of items offered in the BoingBoing Store.[SOLVED]
25(a). Also, are they tactical or strategic?
- Whether the retired “Pedant Pendant” is desirable
- William S Burroughs: literary outlaw, or wife-murdering pederast?
- Do definitions even mean anything?
- Are hot dogs sandwiches?
- Is “whom” even a real word?
- Lists; who is in charge anyway?
- Is the driver an idiot, or is the infrastructure to blame?
- Do we need to use soap and shampoo?
- When folk insist (and insist, and insist) on making a topic about themselves
- Gun control? You don’t even know the difference between an AR-15 and an M-16.
- Mоist vs. Damp
- Whisky vs. Whiskey
- The correct number of humans that should live on Earth at any one time.
- Anything filmed in portrait mode except for giraffes and the Eiffel Tower.
39(a). Saying “film”, “tape”, or “rewind” when talking about digital recording.
- Racism and other forms of marginalisation; do average white men really know best?
- Ed Snowden - Russian asset or principled hero? (or is that covered by 16?)
42(a). Also, what’s the best way to get to Ecuador? (Asking for a friend.)
- Anytime someone attributes Kanye West’s behavior to mental health issues.
43(a). In fact, mental health in general.
- Robots replacing cleaning crews
44(a) Date, time, proximate and societal causes and ultimate nature of the robot rebellion.
- Kyrsten Sinema
- Cats, their habits, proper care and keeping of.
46(a) What side will cats be on during the robot rebellion?
- Frozen peaches.
- Discussions on whether color XX is really present in an image (pixels vs perception).
- “Literally”, “figuratively”, “actually”, particularly the first in non-literary contexts.
- Is the correct plural of octopus Octoputrices or octoputrixes?
- Ancient engineering know-how vs. Aliens dunnit.
- The “correct” way to cook, well, anything really.
- Whether housing made from shipping containers are worth it.
- The only way to load a dishwasher properly.
- Whether electric vehicles or internal combustion vehicles catch fire more often [isn’t this #4?]
55(a) Are the robots testing vehicle fires as the first move of the robot rebellion?
- People ‘fixing’ stuff their municipality hasn’t, aka Jobsworth Councils or underfunded, overworked people trying to do their best in shitty situations?
- What even is a graphic novel?
- Who’s the best on-screen martial artist?
- Any time the Boomer/X/Millenial/etc “divides” are discussed.
- Babies on airplanes
- The meaning of Milk and the people who drink it
- A law cannot be racist unless it mentions a race
- The meaning of “Bad Faith”
- American “Exceptionalism”
65(a) Will robots treat Americans exceptionally during the rebellion, and what does that mean?
- The effectiveness of bicycle helmets