Should you point utensils up or down in the dishwasher?

I had never heard that before, so I googled it. Thanks for the tip!

For anyone else that happens to be in today’s 10,000:

7 Likes

Next best thing.

Purchase and cut up this glow in the dark exit sign.

Cut up the edge borders and stick them along the (now visible) side while the door edges are open.

I did this to my moms car so she could locate where to insert the key on the door and in the ignition in her darkened car.

8 Likes

It was here on the boing a month or so back, I recall. Great tip.

3 Likes

I just wished my wife cared at all about such things. She is an agent of chaos with no discernible strategy. If engaged in a conversation about tips or strategy, she is annoyed at the very idea of caring about it.

My one success - which came at great strain to our relationship - was to get her to stop putting our sharp knives in the dishwasher.

3 Likes

This is literally something that has never occurred to me to consider. No one in my family has ever done this (deliberately, at least), no one in my wife’s family. I’ve actually lived with many people and have never noticed anyone specifically wash their hands to unload a dishwasher.

Like many things hygiene-related, it’s always interesting to me what one person thinks of as completely compulsory, and another has never considered.

4 Likes

I think we have another candidate for this wiki

11 Likes

That’s why I prefer end-under in my kayak’s bathroom.

9 Likes

At the risk of being called weird, I have another perspective, borne out entirely from personal experience.

If the holder is in front, or to the side, of the seated user then over the top makes sense. However, if (as in my bathroom) it is on the same wall as the cistern requiring you to reach back to unroll, then over the top makes it far too easy to spin way too much from the roll. Hanging it to the wall side makes it way easier to control.

As to dishwashers - there’s only one in this house, and it’s typing out the comment you see before you now :grin:.

4 Likes

I would never put sharp knives in the dishwasher. They’d take up the space where my cast iron skillet fits, so… :woman_shrugging:t2:

23 Likes

We don’t have toilet roll holders in my house. I put the rolls on top of the radiator for ultimate comfort in cold weather.

2 Likes

Thems fightin’ words… Are you deliberately trying to break the BBS!!!

12 Likes

10 seconds through Chef’s Choice Model 120, easy peasy.

3 Likes

The correct answer is to buy a dishwasher with a utensil tray where you lay them horizontally.

1 Like

As the dishwasher of my house, I prefer not to have utensils pointed in me, no matter the direction.

4 Likes

This totally what we do. No choice for the spoons/forks but knives are stabby bit down.

1 Like

This is too stressful. I’m sticking with disposables.

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure the whole point of the Simpsons gag where the social worker lists “toilet paper hung in improper overhand fashion” as a reason for putting their kids in foster care is that no one thinks this is correct.

As for the dishwasher thing, it’s a trick question; dishwashers are pointless.

Each of the votes in the majority site ‘contamination’ as a reason for their thinking.
This is irrational.
Even if the thread of contamination was real, living in a disinfected world is not good for us.

2 Likes

12 Likes

Most dishwashers I’ve seen only have slots that allow the handle side to go in for spoons and forks, but allow knives to go in handle up. They also keep the utensils separated so they don’t touch which could keep them from getting clean. I’m siding with the last one. Wash your hands before you empty the dishwasher!

4 Likes