MasterClass: Your dad teaches loading the dishwasher

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/19/masterclass-your-dad-teaches.html

8 Likes

It horrifies me to admit that I have a strong opinion about literally everything he described he would cover.

35 Likes

I feel seen.

18 Likes

now this is why, despite the increasingly encroaching ads, I still come back to boing boing.

22 Likes

My kids need to take this class.

18 Likes

Dishwasher loading masterclass: now available at the BoingBoing Shop.

23 Likes

Silverware goes in stabby bits down.

6 Likes

Well at least it wasn’t filmed vertically! And only a dang fool doesn’t observe The Rule: sharps down, rounds up. Pointy bits like sharp knives and forks go pointy bits DOWN (handles UP) and spoons and butter knives go round bits UP (handles DOWN). That said, I just paid my $200 for this class as my kids need to learn this sh!t somehow or other. Enkwife could use a refresher course as well.

11 Likes

There is no point in ever getting into any dishwasher loading protocol debate with anyone. Ever.
Everybody else is just plain WRONG somewhere along the line and will never see sense on that point.

Goodbye.

:wink:

10 Likes

I spent so many years operating commercial dishwashers I just can’t even look at these puny residential things. We have one to fill the hole in the counter, but I wash everything by hand.

I’m your Granddad and this is my Masterclass.

12 Likes

You and me both, brother.

However I doubt we’d agree on most of the points…

4 Likes

The Good Mythical Morning folks also went dishwasher loading last week

8 Likes

That rule is irrelevant to me.

My dishwasher has a third, very shallow tray located above what would normally be the top rack.

It’s for silverware. Everything lays horizontally, on its edge.

No need for the silverware holders on the bottom rack, which leaves more room for dishes.

8 Likes

Agree to disagree.

My time spent in restaurant dishwashing school taught me that effective cleaning happens only with utensils pointing up.

14 Likes

I’ve never had a dishwasher that couldn’t handle it 99.9% of the time. Are restaurant dishwashers different or routinely overloaded?

3 Likes

I like his sweater.

7 Likes

Same here.

Unless the AutoChlor dishwasher was fed the full size open flat tray, in which case we dumped all the presoaked flatware, hosed it down with that sprayer, and shook it hard (to make the big pieces of food fall off, through the holes in the tray) before banging it into the machine. When done, viciously haul out the steaming hot flatware and shake some more.

The waitstaff would do the wipedown of each piece, post washing, if they had time.

2 Likes

I stopped this the third time his wife interrupted him. Our dishes come out fine, so I don’t really need this, but I thought he might have some interesting ideas. But, don’t waste my time. This is disrespectful of its audience.

My home dishwasher is routinely overloaded, so I do pointy bits up. But only basic table cutlery, so like… no steak knives or anything I’d consider dangerous outside of a “and that’s when I tripped and fell face-first into the open dishwasher drawer” situation.

I’ll grant it means you then get your fingers all over the parts that go in mouths during unloading, but just wash hands thoroughly before and I figure it’s fine.

2 Likes

I was waiting to get to the actual masterclass. Am disappointed.

WHAT IF I’M DOING IT WRONG?!

7 Likes