What's going on inside a dishwasher as it runs through its cycle? Now you can see for yourself

Originally published at: What's going on inside a dishwasher as it runs through its cycle? Now you can see for yourself | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Alec Watson rigged a dishwasher up with a transparent side for his YouTube channel Technology Connections

25 Likes

Exactly. Alec did this months ago.

Everyone: Subscribe to Technology Connections! You’ll be glad you did.

19 Likes

Ah, ya beat me to it!

8 Likes

I am so triggered by this haphazard loading.

Has this man no sense of propriety for where flatware goes?

11 Likes

Are you sure you donʻt mean “silverware”? :wink:

6 Likes

And there I was thinking that Aquaman had a side hustle.

5 Likes

Doh, beat all of us to it. And the good explanation for his rant about pods, complete with video demonstration.

5 Likes

As well as the feckless rinse-job those dishes received before loading. Were they left out in the sun to dry and harden for good measure?

1 Like

Are you sure you don’t mean “cutlery”? :smile_cat:

6 Likes

All this. Do you want your dishwasher to smell like rank moldy food, cause that’s how you end up there. Unless your washer has a built in food grinder there’s no way I’m leaving bits of food stuck on plates or dried milk in a glass.

However in a long dead forum for arborists and all things chainsaws I learned dishwashers make excellent part washers…

2 Likes

I have a dish washer, but do prefer to wash by hand, weird I know, but it’s good therapy for me.

6 Likes

They now make washers that do great with no pre-rinsing. Not judging anyone for hand washing, but it is no longer mandatory.

One can also opt to skip pre-rinsing and then spot clean only the ones that didn’t come out clean. It saves water.

2 Likes

There’s no basket in the dishwasher. I wonder if he got a discount for his washer because of missing parts?

1 Like

Back in the 70s, our local Sears had a display model Kenmore dishwasher with a clear door running continuously in the appliance area.

2 Likes

Did they ever catch it?!?

10 Likes

Thanks to that Technology Connections video I now add some detergent gel to the tub for the prewash, since my Dishwasher is missing a spot for it. Definitely seems to improve it’s effectiveness.

3 Likes

Have been very impressed at the cheap dishwashers in rentals. It seems that efficiency standards became performance standards and now they just work.

Boing Boing - where we talk about art, culture, politics, and how to appropriately load a dishwasher. I love you guys.

6 Likes

It always boggles my mind how thoroughly clean a dishwasher can get dishes by just doing a squirt.

A cat food bowl with crusted on cat food scraps? I’ll run scalding hot water in the sink and scrub it with dawn and a brush for a few minutes and not succeed.

Same dish in dishwasher, it just squirts it with hot water and dishwasher soap: spotless.

2 Likes