Five things you should never do when eating in Japan

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/17/five-things-you-should-never-d.html

5 Likes

It’s missing some of the more important ones:

1. Do not start charging your super attack.
  2. Do not unleash your super attack
  3. Sentai suits are generally not considered dinner attire
  4. If you are over 100 feet tall, make sure to call ahead to make sure the restaurant can accommodate you
  5. Do not leave your sword in the umbrella stand–instead make sure to check it with the proprietor
  6. Eating should be soundless–try to avoid slurping noises
  7. Except for noodles, noodles should be slurped
  8. If you absolutely must run outside to change into your battle form, leave some money with the proprietor. They’ll have your change waiting when you return. It’s just the polite thing to do.
27 Likes

You absolutely should rub chopsticks together if you’ve been given cheap chopsticks. You don’t have to eat splinters in order to be polite.

30 Likes

Little known fact (apparently) it’s actually rude to speak with your mouth full in the United States as well.

33 Likes

A subtype of this faux pas is chewing with an open mouth. I don’t want to see you masticating your hamburger.

7 Likes

While #1 is certainly just good manners (all that yelling to charge up can be disruptive), it’s really #2 that is downright rude. I mean really. Blowing out some poor Ramen shop’s wall just to get a bit of tick damage? I mean, really. Don’t be the gaijin in the room. Save the super for outside.

Great list for traveling.

2 Likes

why why does such rubbish float around in my brain??? why do I remember so many worthless things I have seen, yet cannot hold onto important things for work?

this reminds me of the Rahmens “Japanese Traditions” video series - specifically - how to eat Sushi

i’ll know if you watched it all, if you reply about off-menu - illegal items!

16 Likes

or, if you are a whacked-out-germ-o-phobe like me? you carry your own…

1 Like

i feel like you should follow these rules…anywhere?

1 Like

The “never stick your chopsticks upright in a bowl of rice” thing is in every Japanese travel guide or book I’ve ever seen.

Is this really something that happens? You would think there’s an epidemic of ne’er do well foreigners sticking chopsticks in rice and inadvertently reminding people about funerals.

5 Likes

What if it’s an umbrella sword?

10 Likes

I’ve seen it happen in the US, which is the only reason I knew about it. The exact quote, as I remember it, was “please don’t do that. That is how we honor our dead.”

I never allow my chopsticks to point at anyone but me, but I don’t know if that’s because of some rule I can’t quite remember, or just a random habit. I sheepishly admit I did not watch Mark’s video yet.

2 Likes

Don’t point it at something you don’t want to eat. The golden rule of chopstick safety.

26 Likes

Always treat your chopsticks as if they’re loaded

24 Likes

I fought a bear with half a chopstick once, good news is we’re friends now.

12 Likes

Be aware of what you’re eating with your chopsticks and what’s behind it as well. It’s very embarrassing to accidentally stick a plate in your mouth, even if it’s an adorable little sushi dish.

2 Likes

I thought I first saw that on BoingBoing, but I found this instead.

12 Likes

But is it okay to have fun with the chopsticks package?

ETA: my spouse is SO tired of me doing this whenever we’re in a restaurant with chopsticks.

11 Likes

no, you should learn how to snap your chopsticks with making splinters all over the place, and stop eating in cheap Chinese dives.

Not just for Japanese but some Chinese regional cultures as well – especially in the south.

3 Likes