Bizarre 'Wood Milk' ad with Aubrey Plaza backfires

Originally published at: Bizarre 'Wood Milk' ad with Aubrey Plaza backfires | Boing Boing

8 Likes

LIke… I really kinda feel she did this for the irony factor. It’s hilarious. And doesn’t at all make me want to give up oat milk. The “Got Wood” t shirts are gonna sell better than milk itself.

37 Likes

“Aubrey, no!” screamed one TikToker, narrating the Wood Milk campaign video. “Why on earth are you getting in bed with ‘Got Milk?’ Nobody likes milk—like, literally nobody.”

Dumb reaction to a dumb ad. “Literally nobody” likes to drink cow’s milk?

38 Likes

I can see why Plaza would be willing to sign into an ad campaign like that. It’s weird and silly. She also gets to ask “Got wood?” during a national campaign. Sure, get that money.

The whole idea of cow’s milk being the only milk is annoying, though. Not all of us can have it. I’m fortunate that I’m ok with enzymes helping with the lactose, but I know more than a few people who have bad reactions to milk itself. The fact that Big Milk has paid and pushed to have milk products everywhere (that’s why there’s so much cheese in Taco Bell products, for instance) has really made it hard for those of us who seem to be less and less in the minority with regard to milk issues. Criticism of the ad campaign is warranted. Just point it at where the money is coming from, not the spokesperson.

21 Likes

The video is funny. It is on-brand for Aubrey Plaza. The damage almonds do to the envirnoment is probably as bad as cows. Big Wood is probably as bas as Big Milk.

38 Likes

No mention of “It does a body good”?

10 Likes

This is hilarious. Whatever ad company made this isn’t getting paid enough. (Well…maybe they are, how would I know?) I drink milk sometimes, but it’s not going to get me to drink more of it. I may actually try some of that oat stuff now.

10 Likes

Hell, it’s not even the only commercially available mammal milk.

20 Likes

Darn gen-z and their yak milk. I hear they’re putting yak butter in their free-trade coffee too…

14 Likes

25 Likes

Yea. I’m more of a rat’s milk person.

10 Likes

11 Likes

“Get away from me. “

19 Likes

A bit odd to say “Ad backfires” when we’re doing exactly what they want and talking about it.

28 Likes

Grandparents owned 100 acers, majority of trees on it were birch. Time came to sell the land (I offered to buy, but grandma didn’t want family to get it… she was… mean in that way, felt we were trying to take advantage of her). sold her ‘worthless’ land and house for a song.

1 year later, this birch ‘milk’ product comes onto the market … raking in serious cash. Yep… from what had been our trees. Company said “We acquired a parcel of land with the most magnificent birch trees you could imagine, perfect for our operation.”

I’m very bitter. Not as bitter as that shit coming out of the trees though.

17 Likes

Birch milk? I love birch water but have never heard of a milk made from those trees

7 Likes

I had no idea “Big Milk” was a thing.

Also, at least in the US, a lot of people like milk. It’s one of the standards inflation is based on because its such a standard staple.

I’m guessing these people completely failed at understanding that Plaza signed on to this probably because her personal brand is “really weird woman does strange things” and this commercial is dead center on that target.

14 Likes

Hey, I thought it was hilarious and a brilliant one-person adaptation of the Dylan Thomas play.

7 Likes

Maybe it was water… I’m sure if I was able to get the land I would have figured out how to make a buck from it…

3 Likes

You are actually Dr. Dralle, and I claim my £5!

3 Likes