Video: 82-year-old Succession star super-glued his hand to Starbucks counter in protest

Originally published at: Video: 82-year-old Succession star super-glued his hand to Starbucks counter in protest | Boing Boing

7 Likes

That’ll do, James.

(I have no idea - do plant-based/non-dairy ‘milks’ cost more than old-fashioned milk? Is there a justification for a price differential or are Starbucks just skimming (intentional pun) profits from easy marks?)

ETA this question has been addressed several times below. No more direct answers, thanks.

12 Likes

Oh, peta, don’t ever change.

4 Likes

I see his point insofar as dairy production being subsidized by the government.

18 Likes

Gaah!!! Beat me to it! It really is a special film.

And it’s nice to see PETA putting energy into something that isn’t shaming non vegans, but advocating for equal treatment.

14 Likes

Black coffee is still an option

:woman_shrugging:t3:

There are lots of reasons to dislike Starbucks, of which charging people more money for “alternatives” is but one.

14 Likes

Short answer is “usually yes, but not that much more.”

13 Likes

Are all the characters on that show just being themselves?

5 Likes

I dunno – can you buy a gallon of soy milk for less than 4 bucks?

6 Likes

I thought that this was going to be a protest about, you know, something like bodily autonomy; not plant-based milk.

11 Likes

Also, don’t these folks realize that if we all stopped using dairy products those cows would be meat in about a month? They never seem to understand that most farm animals are around because they are or they produce a product. No product, no need to keep feeding and caring for the beasts.

4 Likes

If this is an upcharge because they can get away with it, then stop it.
If this is, as I suspect, an upcharge because it costs more to produce these alternative “milks” than cow’s milk, then start supporting carbon tax initiatives so the real cost of products is more clear to everyone.

And neither of these things help underprivileged people who can barely afford staples, to begin with and will feel the brunt of such a tax increase. So let’s please keep this in mind as we change the tax law to reflect better the impact on the planet goods and services have, ok?

20 Likes

Would the price of the gallon of soy be lowered by government subsidies the way the price of the gallon of milk is?

5 Likes

Growing the soy beans certainly is. Making the soy milk probably isn’t.

4 Likes

Yeah… I’m not finding this particular issue anywhere on my list of high priorities right now…

23 Likes

I wonder. I’d guess that soy produced to feed meat-producing animals, and maybe milk-producing ones, is subsidised. I wonder if the same soybeans are used to make soy milk. If so, i wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not subsidised.

4 Likes

I can’t bring myself to even enter a StarF@cks, let alone eat/drink there…

11 Likes

Do they realize that Starbucks could have shut down the store and let him stew there for a few days? That company is probably more than willing to shut a single location for a few days to stop the series of this particular protest being constantly carried out at multiple locations

7 Likes

Also, don’t these folks realize that if we all stopped using dairy products those cows would be meat in about a month?

I doubt they’re calling for an instant stoppage. If theyre even calling for a stoppage, im sure they realize it would be gradual.

Anyway, isnt what theyre actually calling for a reduction in the price of non-dairy milk?

They never seem to understand that most farm animals are around because they are or they produce a product. No product, no need to keep feeding and caring for the beasts.

I’m sure they do understand something that bloody obvious.

I’m not finding your efforts to characterize them as idiots especially convincing.

14 Likes

In a reasonable world, the increased cost of production (and impact on the planet) of producing dairy milk would be reflected in its price. However, the government enjoys subsidizing unnecessary, unhealthy agriculture (see also why everything is made of corn, but a bag of nuts costs $20), which drives the price of dairy milk down and keeps the price of nut, legume, and other plant -based milks higher.

6 Likes