A TikTok video shows a clever Airpod trick that lets students "talk" in school without getting in trouble

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/27/a-tiktok-video-shows-a-clever.html

1 Like

Do they have another video on how to treat ear infections?

the other two-thirds of the population stayed on the planet and lived full, rich and happy lives until they were all wiped out by a virulent disease contracted from a dirty telephone.

4 Likes

Previously: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/22/kids-find-a-cool-unintended-us.html

6 Likes

Sounds like texting with extra steps.

10 Likes

Thank you. I thought I was going crazy. I was sure BB already posted about this.

Your parents set of AirPod pro, £249
Humbrol #61 matt flesh, £3.86
Painting over the charging contacts, priceless

“You’re”
Get back to class, kiddos.

1 Like

I still don’t understand how this is suprerior to surreptitious texting. You have to look at your screen to respond either way.

1 Like

“You’re”

Doesn’t matter once it’s gone through text-to-speech.

A lot of firewalls block google translate by default - you can use it like an open proxy by getting it to translate blocked webpages for you. Most schools ask me to unblock it.

And the teacher would have to be indifferent to the student up front wearing headphones during class. “Oh, I’m sure he’s just using them for music.”

I’m not convinced it is clever.

3 Likes

Or an extra step that makes no sense. Why not use text to speech on your own device with your own airpods covered in your own ear bacteria?

1 Like

Haha, you gotta admit this comment thread reads a lot like old people all just saying, “that thing the young people did isn’t cool or clever.”

I was thinking more about it since the last time BoingBoing posted this, and I can see how it would have different advantages over just texting.

Sure, you have to look at your phone to reply, but you don’t have to look at your phone to hear the message, right? So I could see my friend and I doing this all day, and I could hear what the other person has to say immediately, without having to pull something out of my pocket or glance at my smart watch or whatever, before deciding whether it’s worth it to pull my phone out and reply.

Granted there could be an app that does this for you without having to swap earpods, and then I could try this experiment with my friend in another city too hmmm… anyway yeah I can see it.

But maybe that’s cuz I’m still a few years on the millennial side of old, and a number of you guys on here are a bit older aren’t you :stuck_out_tongue:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.